POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported Server Time
29 Mar 2024 00:49:20 EDT (-0400)
  Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported
Date: 25 Sep 2021 17:50:00
Message: <web.614f98a5a3820c14cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
[Windows 10, running v3.8.0 beta 2]

While experimenting with the Bits_Per_Color .ini file feature (I don't know what
the command-line version is for that), and running .png renders,  it seems that
other image-viewer apps are reporting this information wrong. The images
themselves visually show up with the correct specified bit-depth -- although not
in POV-ray's preview window-- but the reported bit-depth does not. I tested this
three ways:
* The typical Windows right-click 'Properties' menu
* I've's Lilysoft/IC app
* Irfanview app

For example, using...
Grayscale_Output=true
Bits_Per_Color=4
....this reports as 8-bits per pixel grayscale.

Bits_Per_Color=12  reports as 16-bit

Another example:
Turning off Grayscale_Output, but setting Bits_Per_Color=4, the apps report this
as 24-bit with 8-bits per color.

From further tests, it seems that POV-ray's .png output image files report
elsewhere as 'only' 8-bit or 16-bit, regardless of the actual bit-depth. This
can get really confusing, when trying to determine later what the actual
bit-depth of a rendered image is!

Perhaps POV-ray is writing incorrect information in its .png output files, in
the file header for example? I haven't yet tested other file-output formats. I
would be curious to know if this happens with rendered images in earlier
versions of POV-ray.

Post a reply to this message

Le 25/09/2021 à 23:46, Kenneth a écrit :
> [Windows 10, running v3.8.0 beta 2]
>
> While experimenting with the Bits_Per_Color .ini file feature (I don't know what
> the command-line version is for that), and running .png renders,  it seems that
> other image-viewer apps are reporting this information wrong. The images
> themselves visually show up with the correct specified bit-depth -- although not
> in POV-ray's preview window-- but the reported bit-depth does not. I tested this
> three ways:
> * The typical Windows right-click 'Properties' menu
> * I've's Lilysoft/IC app
> * Irfanview app
>
> For example, using...
> Grayscale_Output=true
> Bits_Per_Color=4
> ....this reports as 8-bits per pixel grayscale.
>
> Bits_Per_Color=12  reports as 16-bit
>
> Another example:
> Turning off Grayscale_Output, but setting Bits_Per_Color=4, the apps report this
> as 24-bit with 8-bits per color.
>
> From further tests, it seems that POV-ray's .png output image files report
> elsewhere as 'only' 8-bit or 16-bit, regardless of the actual bit-depth. This
> can get really confusing, when trying to determine later what the actual
> bit-depth of a rendered image is!
>
> Perhaps POV-ray is writing incorrect information in its .png output files, in
> the file header for example? I haven't yet tested other file-output formats. I
> would be curious to know if this happens with rendered images in earlier
> versions of POV-ray.

The png container is the one to blame.
Nobody wants to handle partial byte shifts, so in colour mode (2 & 6
color type), it is either 8 or 16 bits per colour channel.

See :

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55978230/how-to-query-the-bit-depth-of-a-png

Notice that Grayscale output COULD use smaller than 8 bits (color type
0, but not with alpha!), yet the code to write png in povray does not
handle such exception and stay at either 8 or 16 bits per gray.

The PPM format is more respectful of pixel depth, as the actual mask is
part of the format. Yet, no shift of channel in the byte, it is one or
two bytes per channel.

Post a reply to this message