POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:50:52 EDT (-0400)
  res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: The Traveler
Subject: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows?
Date: 26 Sep 2021 15:45:00
Message: <web.6150cd0af089858cdd31149be3dfee7c@news.povray.org>
Howdy folks, Was the ability to parse multiple rendering configurations using a
"res.ini" file only a feature for the Windows version of povray? I've been using
povray under Linux for so long, I don't recall.

From section 2.2.8.2 I have a simple res.ini file with these settings (copied
from the verbatim manual):

; RES.INI
  ; This sample INI file is used to set resolution.
  +W120 +H100  ; This section has no label.
               ; Select it with "RES"
  [Low]
  +W80 +H60    ; This section has a label.
               ; Select it with "RES[Low]"
  [Med]
  +W320 +H200  ; This section has a label.
               ; Select it with "RES[Med]"
  [High]
  +W640 +H480  ; Labels are not case sensitive.
               ; "RES[high]" works
  [Really High]
  +W800 +H600  ; Labels may contain blanks

Using 3.8.0-b2 in Lubuntu Linux: povray res[Low] +Itest.pov gives me an error:
"Failed to parse command line option".

I've checked to make sure the res.ini file is in a searchable directory path.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

On 2021-09-26 3:43 PM (-4), The Traveler wrote:
> Howdy folks, Was the ability to parse multiple rendering configurations using a
> "res.ini" file only a feature for the Windows version of povray? I've been using
> povray under Linux for so long, I don't recall.
>
> [snip]
>
> Using 3.8.0-b2 in Lubuntu Linux: povray res[Low] +Itest.pov gives me an error:
> "Failed to parse command line option".
>
> I've checked to make sure the res.ini file is in a searchable directory path.

See:
https://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C5bdf75ab%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Apparently, the library path isn't *supposed* to work for .ini files.
The fact that it works in POV-Ray 3.6 and 3.7 is an undocumented side
effect of the parser code in those versions.  I can only suppose that
res.ini is a feature of the Windows IDE, and there is not yet a standard
IDE for Unix or GNU/Linux.

Post a reply to this message