POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for POV-Ray 0.x Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:37:17 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for POV-Ray 0.x (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Looking for POV-Ray 0.x
Date: 20 May 2021 04:40:00
Message: <web.60a61fefef7e98f38e52cc8789db30a9@news.povray.org>
"Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > "Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to ask a question, hopefully this is the
> > > correct place... Where can I get the source for the very early versions of
> > > POV-Ray? There may have been a 0.5 version or similar back in the early 1990's
> > > but I can't find it anywhere.
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > <https://github.com/OS2World/APP-GRAPHICS-Dkbtrace> ?
> >

> > regards, jr.
>
> This is DKBTrace 2.12, not POV-Ray 0.x. They were two separate programs.

It's not completely separate:

"The Early History of POV-Ray"
https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/t2_1.html#t2_1_6

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Date: 20 May 2021 06:05:00
Message: <web.60a633c6ef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> "Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > hi,

> > > <https://github.com/OS2World/APP-GRAPHICS-Dkbtrace> ?
> > >

> > > regards, jr.
> >
> > This is DKBTrace 2.12, not POV-Ray 0.x. They were two separate programs.
>
> It's not completely separate:
>
> "The Early History of POV-Ray"
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/t2_1.html#t2_1_6
>
> --
> Tor Olav
> http://subcube.com
> https://github.com/t-o-k

Sure, but I still would like to obtain POV-Ray 0.5... I have some ancient scenes
that don't render with DKBTrace nor POV-Ray 1.0, and their syntax is like a
hybrid between the two.

Post a reply to this message

> Sure, but I still would like to obtain POV-Ray 0.5... I have some ancient scenes
> that don't render with DKBTrace nor POV-Ray 1.0, and their syntax is like a
> hybrid between the two.

The correct name seems to be: "PvRay Version 0.5" (sic), "BETA Release
9/07/91",

https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/t2_1.html

but it does not seem to be available on the net anywhere. No results
from the WayBackMachine either.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Date: 20 May 2021 10:15:00
Message: <web.60a66ed5ef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org>
> Op 20-5-2021 om 12:02 schreef Bob:
> > Sure, but I still would like to obtain POV-Ray 0.5... I have some ancient scenes
> > that don't render with DKBTrace nor POV-Ray 1.0, and their syntax is like a
> > hybrid between the two.
> >
> The correct name seems to be: "PvRay Version 0.5" (sic), "BETA Release
> 9/07/91",
>
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/t2_1.html
>
> but it does not seem to be available on the net anywhere. No results
> from the WayBackMachine either.
>
> --
> Thomas

This helps actually, I ran a search for PvRay and found a copy for Macintosh on
an old CD-ROM uploaded to the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/MacintoshMania1
Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it as I don't have a Macintosh. I was
able to browse the contents of the CD on my Linux machine but all the
executables (?) are reported as zero byte files. Regular text files display
properly though.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 20 May 2021 10:40:00
Message: <web.60a67468ef7e98f379819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Op 20-5-2021 om 12:02 schreef Bob:
> > > Sure, but I still would like to obtain POV-Ray 0.5... I have some ancient scenes
> > > that don't render with DKBTrace nor POV-Ray 1.0, and their syntax is like a
> > > hybrid between the two.
> > >
> > The correct name seems to be: "PvRay Version 0.5" (sic), "BETA Release
> > 9/07/91",
> >
> > {...}
> >
> > but it does not seem to be available on the net anywhere. No results
> > from the WayBackMachine either.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
> This helps actually, I ran a search for PvRay and found a copy for Macintosh on
> an old CD-ROM uploaded to the Internet Archive:
> https://archive.org/details/MacintoshMania1
> Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it as I don't have a Macintosh. I was
> able to browse the contents of the CD on my Linux machine but all the
> executables (?) are reported as zero byte files. Regular text files display
> properly though.

by "regular text files" you mean source code?  you could embark on a "nice"
project, getting it (bit by bit) to compile.  :-)  alternatively, maybe use an
emulator?  the Google snippet for <https://9to5mac.com> claims: "the emulator
allows you to run a wide range of early Macintosh software, from the MacWrite
and MacPaint apps supplied with the machine..."

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 20 May 2021 10:56:09
Message: <XnsAD30AC478C447seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.60a66ed5ef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org Bob wrote:

> PvRay
Maybe, I've not downloaded it:

Content:
https://books.google.nl/books/about/Raytracing_Box.html?
id=cqE5HQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y :
Raytracer (PoV, Vivid, Polyray, PVRay u.a.), Raytracing-Utilities

auf CD / Herbert Buckel, Volume 2

Download:
https://archive.org/details/franzisraytracingbox

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Date: 20 May 2021 11:50:00
Message: <web.60a683feef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> by "regular text files" you mean source code?  you could embark on a "nice"
> project, getting it (bit by bit) to compile.  :-)  alternatively, maybe use an
> emulator?  the Google snippet for <https://9to5mac.com> claims: "the emulator
> allows you to run a wide range of early Macintosh software, from the MacWrite
> and MacPaint apps supplied with the machine..."
>

> regards, jr.

No I mean documentation, changelog...etc. No source code I'm afraid.
Couldn't find any emulators on that page you linked.

ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> in news:web.60a66ed5ef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org Bob wrote:
>
> > PvRay
> Maybe, I've not downloaded it:
>
> Content:
> https://books.google.nl/books/about/Raytracing_Box.html?
> id=cqE5HQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y :
> Raytracer (PoV, Vivid, Polyray, PVRay u.a.), Raytracing-Utilities
>

> auf CD / Herbert Buckel, Volume 2
>
> Download:
> https://archive.org/details/franzisraytracingbox

That's only POV-Ray 2.0, but thanks for the suggestion.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 21 May 2021 02:25:00
Message: <web.60a751fdef7e98f379819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > by "regular text files" you mean source code?  you could embark on a "nice"
> > project, getting it (bit by bit) to compile.  :-)  alternatively, maybe use an
> > emulator?  the Google snippet for <https://9to5mac.com> claims: "the emulator
> > allows you to run a wide range of early Macintosh software, from the MacWrite
> > and MacPaint apps supplied with the machine..."
>
> No I mean documentation, changelog...etc. No source code I'm afraid.
> Couldn't find any emulators on that page you linked.

ah, sorry, I'm not a Mac user.  I simply googled "macintosh 1 emulator", saw
more than one result, and quoted the second from the list.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Date: 21 May 2021 07:30:00
Message: <web.60a79995ef7e98f3614e33ab757cdd57@news.povray.org>
I was able to find the sample DAT files and documentation for PvRay 0.5:
https://www.pcorner.com/list/DPGRAPH/PV050DAT.ZIP/INFO/
https://www.pcorner.com/list/DPGRAPH/PV050DOC.ZIP/INFO/
So this suggests that the source file name would also start with "PV050", for
example "PV050SRC.ZIP"... No results for that so far, but this is a good
starting point for further searches. My guess is that there may be something in
a BBS archive somewhere.
What are the chances of someone from the olden days having a personal copy?
Maybe Drew Wells or even David Buck himself?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 21 May 2021 12:27:32
Message: <60a7df74$1@news.povray.org>

> This helps actually, I ran a search for PvRay and found a copy for Macintosh on
> an old CD-ROM uploaded to the Internet Archive:
> https://archive.org/details/MacintoshMania1
> Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it as I don't have a Macintosh. I was
> able to browse the contents of the CD on my Linux machine but all the
> executables (?) are reported as zero byte files. Regular text files display
> properly though.

An application for a Macintosh from that time would not run on any
current Mac. They probably date from before the Power PC chip found in
the earlier iMac, and would probably don't work even on those.

So, get the source code, if you can, and try to compile on your Linux
machine.