POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Old post about rendering the text of a .pov file Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:02:15 EDT (-0400)
  Old post about rendering the text of a .pov file (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Old post about rendering the text of a .pov file
Date: 3 Feb 2021 18:15:01
Message: <web.601b2dbedc0255291f9dae300@news.povray.org>
Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with proper keyword
highlighting.

IIRC, the render looked very much like this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3

but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit secretive about
his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the parsing.

I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find that post -
maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory) than I do?

Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?

Post a reply to this message

Op 04/02/2021 om 00:11 schreef Bald Eagle:

> Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
> developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with proper keyword
> highlighting.
>
> IIRC, the render looked very much like this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3

> but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit secretive about
> his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the parsing.
>
> I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find that post -
> maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory) than I do?
>
> Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?

I know exactly what you are talking about but... impossible to find
trace of it (except that clipka image). It was part of a set of other
goodies iirc. Not on Tina-CheP, definitely. I keep looking/thinking and
maybe I shall come upon it.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
> developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with proper keyword
> highlighting.  ...
> but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit secretive about
> his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the parsing.
>
> I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find that post -
> maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory) than I do?
>
> Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?

iiuc, you're talking about user 'ingo'; I have a few *.{pov,html} on a machine,
all dated January 2019, but cannot now find the archive.  hth.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
> developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with proper keyword
> highlighting.
>
> IIRC, the render looked very much like this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3

> but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit secretive about
> his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the parsing.
>
> I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find that post -
> maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory) than I do?
>
> Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?

I wish POV-Ray could read SVG natively. Then you could do whatever.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 2/6/2021 8:57 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I wish POV-Ray could read SVG natively. Then you could do whatever.
>

> Mike

PDF too.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Op 04/02/2021 om 08:46 schreef Thomas de Groot:
> Op 04/02/2021 om 00:11 schreef Bald Eagle:
>>
>> Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
>> developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with
>> proper keyword
>> highlighting.
>>
>> IIRC, the render looked very much like this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C51f54533%40news.povray.org%3

>> but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit
>> secretive about
>> his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the
>> parsing.
>>
>> I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find
>> that post -
>> maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory)
>> than I do?
>>
>> Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?
>>

> I know exactly what you are talking about but... impossible to find
> trace of it (except that clipka image). It was part of a set of other
> goodies iirc. Not on Tina-CheP, definitely. I keep looking/thinking and
> maybe I shall come upon it.

What I came upon are the UberPOV scene files by Clipka himself. There is
one named: read_text.pov, which seems to do the job. I include it here
(to avoid dispersion). As far as the post itself, no idea.

Obviously, this is only a part answer to your query.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'read_text.pov.txt' (6 KB)

> > Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I recall a thread where someone
> > developed a scene to parse a .pov file and render the text, with proper keyword
> > highlighting.  ...
> > but the other part of the memory is that the author was a bit secretive about
> > his method, as he had invested a bit of work into figuring out the parsing.
> >
> > I've looked a couple times in the past but haven't been able to find that post -
> > maybe someone has better POV-Ray search kung-fu(or a better memory) than I do?
> >
> > Maybe it was on TINA-CheP or something?
>
> iiuc, you're talking about user 'ingo'; I have a few *.{pov,html} on a machine,
> all dated January 2019, but cannot now find the archive.  hth.

<http://news.povray.org/povray.tools.general/message/%3CXnsA9CCAC0788F40seed7%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3CXnsA9CCAC0788F40
seed7%40news.povray.org%3E>

> regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Le 07/02/2021 à 03:02, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/6/2021 8:57 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I wish POV-Ray could read SVG natively. Then you could do whatever.
>>

>> Mike
>
> PDF too.

svg is xml, and 2D.
pdf is proprietary.