POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solar Panels glint problem Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Solar Panels glint problem (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Gabriele
Subject: Solar Panels glint problem
Date: 20 Nov 2020 07:30:00
Message: <web.5fb7b590878eff6283b830f70@news.povray.org>
Hi All,
I am trying to simulate images of GEO satellites taken from a ground-based
telescope, represented by the camera. I know that many GEO satellites creates
glint when their solar panels reflect the light towards the observer. I have
already created the geometry and calculated their position.

The issue I am experiencing now is the following:

- I used a small FOV (angle 0.35) to simulate the telescope, and the objects in
the scene (Sun and Satellite) have been rendered 1000 times closer to it in
order to make them visible. However, the solar panels seem not to be shiny
enough to generate a quasi-instantaneous glint as I would expect.

These are the finish properties given to the solar panels, together with a
Polished_Chrome texture:

Ambient: 0.0001
Diffuse": 0.0001
Specular: 1.0
Roughness": 0.00001
Reflection": 1.0
Brilliance": 100.0

Does anyone know how can I make them shinier? Is it a problem related with the
material or is it due to the very low FOV?

Post a reply to this message

> These are the finish properties given to the solar panels, ...
> Does anyone know how can I make them shinier? Is it a problem related with the
> material or is it due to the very low FOV?

cannot answer either question, but I'd be inclined to start with a "perfect"
mirror, then explore from there.  have you looked at/used 'finish.inc' yet?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2020-11-20 à 07:24, Gabriele a écrit :
> Hi All,
> I am trying to simulate images of GEO satellites taken from a ground-based
> telescope, represented by the camera. I know that many GEO satellites creates
> glint when their solar panels reflect the light towards the observer. I have
> already created the geometry and calculated their position.
>
> The issue I am experiencing now is the following:
>
> - I used a small FOV (angle 0.35) to simulate the telescope, and the objects in
> the scene (Sun and Satellite) have been rendered 1000 times closer to it in
> order to make them visible. However, the solar panels seem not to be shiny
> enough to generate a quasi-instantaneous glint as I would expect.
>
> These are the finish properties given to the solar panels, together with a
> Polished_Chrome texture:
>
> Ambient: 0.0001
> Diffuse": 0.0001
> Specular: 1.0
> Roughness": 0.00001
> Reflection": 1.0
> Brilliance": 100.0
>
> Does anyone know how can I make them shinier? Is it a problem related with the
> material or is it due to the very low FOV?

You can set your ambient to zero.
Increase the specular, maybe in the 3..4 range, maybe even more.
Set your roughness to something slightly larger, like 0.001 to 0.0001.
You probably don't need to play with the brilliance at all.

Your problem may be that the panel covers less than a full pixel.
Solution : Make them larger or render at a larger resolution so that
they can fill a pixel or slightly more.

Post a reply to this message