POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do you optimise +A +R +J? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  How do you optimise +A +R +J? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kima
Subject: How do you optimise +A +R +J?
Date: 14 Jul 2020 08:05:01
Message: <web.5f0d9ebd15841655ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
The default setting of POV-Ray, which is

+A0.3
+R3
+J1

is sufficient for most scene. However, in some cases, we need a higher accuracy
to have smooth edges. For examples, I found we have dark pixels at the edges of
spline made of sphere when the path is a straight diagonal line. However, this
is highly scene-dependent (light, contrast, etc).

All three parameters can contribute to a smooth edge, but massively increases
the rendering time in this order (R > A > J).

In most cases, it is just overkill.

Do you have any suggestion for optimising these values to get the highest
visible quality while minimising the rendering time?

Post a reply to this message

> The default setting of POV-Ray, which is
>
> +A0.3
> +R3
> +J1
>
> is sufficient for most scene. However, in some cases, we need a higher accuracy
> to have smooth edges. For examples, I found we have dark pixels at the edges of
> spline made of sphere when the path is a straight diagonal line. However, this
> is highly scene-dependent (light, contrast, etc).
>
> All three parameters can contribute to a smooth edge, but massively increases
> the rendering time in this order (R > A > J).
>
> In most cases, it is just overkill.
>
> Do you have any suggestion for optimising these values to get the highest
> visible quality while minimising the rendering time?

You may want to use +am2 instead of the default of +am1.
am1 tend to get jaggies at the edges of the render blocks, using am2
solves this.

Using a smaller A value is often enough. I routinely use +a0.1, down to
+a0.03.

Increasing R is often useless unless you use +am3. In that case, using
+r4 or +r5 is often required.
Using larger value here is normally overkill.

Post a reply to this message

On 14.07.2020 18:29, Alain Martel wrote:
> You may want to use +am2 instead of the default of +am1.
> am1 tend to get jaggies at the edges of the render blocks, using am2
> solves this.

In an extremely early alpha of 3.7 like 13 years ago there were a few
problems, not in 3.7 release.

Thorsten