POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to check if three points are in line? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:59:36 EDT (-0400)
  How to check if three points are in line? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Kima
Subject: How to check if three points are in line?
Date: 5 Jun 2020 14:55:01
Message: <web.5eda940f9cbbc66decc0fada0@news.povray.org>
I try to create a tube by connecting cylinders over a spline. To avoid
unnecessary elements, I want to check if three points in line to avoid creation
of two cylinders when one is sufficient.

To do this, I need to calculate the normalized vector of P2-P1 and compare it
with that of P3-P3 using the functions given at
https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/459/

What is the most efficient way, as it is a continuous calculation, which may
enable me to increase the resolution (number of points).

Post a reply to this message

> I try to create a tube by connecting cylinders over a spline. To avoid
> unnecessary elements, I want to check if three points in line to avoid creation
> of two cylinders when one is sufficient.
>
> To do this, I need to calculate the normalized vector of P2-P1 and compare it
> with that of P3-P3 using the functions given at
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/459/
>
> What is the most efficient way, as it is a continuous calculation, which may
> enable me to increase the resolution (number of points).

I forgot to add that I do this VAngle(V1, V2). My question was mostly about the
general idea. If it is feasible or I've missed an emerging issue since I have
not seen such an approach in the tutorials.

Post a reply to this message