POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Sounds of POV-Ray Server Time
29 Mar 2024 02:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  The Sounds of POV-Ray (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: The Sounds of POV-Ray
Date: 2 Apr 2021 02:04:42
Message: <XnsAD00522F0C593seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.60664f78e8731e131f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org Bald Eagle
wrote:

> Perlin Noise, Simplex Noise, or a Perlin smooth-stepped function?
> ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothstep#Variations

the noise generator option 3.

> The Klein bottle sounds interesting, as does a Moebius strip.

I tried both in SuperCollider and the Bottle does interesting thing. More
than I expected in just noise. The strip I have to try again with swapped
uv coordinates. It was just verry noisy.

> I am thinking that I'd like to see a "simple" spline-driven song as
> an animation, with sheet music.  Likely jr would love to see animated
> media musical notes.

Haha, go ahead. I'm not a musician. When I look at a piano it quickly
goes out of tune :)

> I find this extremely interesting, because one of the ideas I had
> about the FFT was to analyze sound files, identify notes, and then do
> what you're doing.

Kind of the opposite of FFT is an intersting one. Massive additive
syntesis of sine waves. Check the ANS synthesizer. I have a basic
experiment working but have to extend that a lot more. Check
https://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/#about for what can be done. A goal for me
would be to create a collection of snippets of texture on a disc object
or polygon that can be placed in the scene and rendered to sound.

> What do you think about a POV-Ray modeled phonograph, with a vinyl
> album made from a heightfield?   The grooves could be a spiral
> function.  :)
>
> Or an old Edison wax cylinder phonograph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_box
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_sound

Then there's using splines as envelope's Attack Decay Sustain Release
(ADSR). You can use textures with tracks for rithmic patters. Extend that
idea to sequencers.

And before you know you are knee deep in DSP terretory with FIR filters
etc.  https://www.musicdsp.org/en/latest/index.html

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

> > Perlin Noise, Simplex Noise, or a Perlin smooth-stepped function?
> > ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothstep#Variations
>
> the noise generator option 3.
>
> > The Klein bottle sounds interesting, as does a Moebius strip.
>
> I tried both in SuperCollider and the Bottle does interesting thing. More
> than I expected in just noise. The strip I have to try again with swapped
> uv coordinates. It was just verry noisy.

what would the Umbilic Torus sound like?  :-)

> Kind of the opposite of FFT is an intersting one. Massive additive
> syntesis of sine waves. Check the ANS synthesizer. I have a basic
> experiment working but have to extend that a lot more. ...
> Then there's using splines as envelope's Attack Decay Sustain Release
> (ADSR). You can use textures with tracks for rithmic patters. Extend that
> idea to sequencers.

a "modular synthesizer" include, combined with a "recording studio" include,
would make a nice base for exploration.  anyway, please keep us in the loop on
developments.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message