POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines
Date: 9 Jun 2021 18:56:56
Message: <60c14738$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/2021 1:23 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 07.06.2021 um 16:54 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On 6/6/2021 5:52 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> - Quadratic splines are also occasionally referred to as "conic
>>> splines" or "conic arcs", for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.
>>

>> IIRC, quadratic splines are parabolic segments or arcs, which are also
>> conic sections.
>
> I'm aware of this connection in general, but I'm not really sure whether
> the spline curve segments are necessarily parabolic, or whether that
> only applies to the individual components in a value/result plot; and
> what's more, there's the snag that they can't represent any other conic
> sections. They can't even represent sections of ellipses.

See here:

https://www.geogebra.org/m/h779nwhd

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Jun 2021 20:35:40
Message: <60c15e5c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.06.2021 um 00:56 schrieb Mike Horvath:

>> I'm aware of this connection in general, but I'm not really sure
>> whether the spline curve segments are necessarily parabolic, or
>> whether that only applies to the individual components in a
>> value/result plot; and what's more, there's the snag that they can't
>> represent any other conic sections. They can't even represent sections
>> of ellipses.
>
> See here:
>
> https://www.geogebra.org/m/h779nwhd

That's a neat demonstration.
Thanks for sharing.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 10 Jun 2021 14:00:00
Message: <web.60c252f484e2d21b6adeaecb3f378f2@news.povray.org>
> Am 10.06.2021 um 00:56 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
> >> I'm aware of this connection in general, but I'm not really sure
> >> whether the spline curve segments are necessarily parabolic, or
> >> whether that only applies to the individual components in a
> >> value/result plot; and what's more, there's the snag that they can't
> >> represent any other conic sections. They can't even represent sections
> >> of ellipses.
> >
> > See here:
> >
> > https://www.geogebra.org/m/h779nwhd
>
> That's a neat demonstration.
> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, awesome visual, and sorry for increasing confusion then. I will look
better at the chosen result to try and clear my mind about this. I still hope it
won't look like "mesh2"