POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [announce] POV-Anywhere distributed rendering tools Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  [announce] POV-Anywhere distributed rendering tools (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: [announce] POV-Anywhere distributed rendering tools
Date: 11 Jan 2004 06:22:03
Message: <41o7d1-3td.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
I have started to work on a tool set for distributed rendering with
POV-Ray.  It is written with the following goals in mind:

- portability.
- non-interactive use, both the client and the manager tool can run in
background.
- extendability, the tools can be easily modified to individual
requirements and additional tools can be integrated.
- simple design, easy installation.

Right now it consists of two shell scripts (client and project manager)
and a C-program to combine partial renders.  It only supports still
renders at the moment and the data is exchanged via a workspace
directory all computers need to have access to (so for internet-wide
distribution you will need a VPN system).  The tiling program at the
moment only supports the PPM format.  The main reason for this is that
this simplifies the combination of the files and no additional libraries
are required for the program.

More information can be found on my website:

http://www.tu-bs.de/%7Ey0013390/povany/index.html

Note this project is just a few days old at the moment so there might
still be a lot of things that don't work as expected.  Feel encouraged
to tell about any problems.  Also feel free to develop additional tools
to be integrated into the project, i could think of things like:

- a frontend to add render projects
- a tool to generate render statistics
- a tool to exchange the files through other transports like email, ftp, ...

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message