POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Conversion Halos to PovRay 3.1? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion Halos to PovRay 3.1? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Joost Smits
Subject: Re: Conversion Halos to PovRay 3.1?
Date: 14 Nov 1998 11:37:36
Message: <364DB1B3.C8E74C23@prize.nl>
Joost Smits wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I got lost a bit. I always used halos in PovRay 3.0, for example to make
>
> nice stars in the sky. In PovRay 3.1 this all changed. I do not
> understand what I need to do to make the new interior/media combination
> to work like the old halos... Is there a
> conversion rule?
>
> --
> Joost Smits
> jsm### [at] prizenl

My problem in a PovRay 3.1 file:

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "shapes.inc"

#declare Scaling = 1;   // Problem: if you vary the scaling the moon changes
size, but also appearance!

// CAMERA POSITION
camera {
  right      < 1.33, 0, 0 >
  up         < 0, 1, 0 >
  direction  < 0, 0, 1 >
  location   < 0, 0, -8*Scaling>
  look_at <  0, 0, 0 >
 }

background { color rgb<0.03, 0.17, 0.41>  }

light_source{<0,1000,1000>
  White
  shadowless
  }

#declare moon=
sphere { 0, 1
 texture{
   pigment{rgbt 1}
 }
   interior{
     media{
       emission 1
       scattering{1,0.1}
       intervals 10
       samples 1, 15
       density{
         spherical
         color_map{
          [0    rgb 0]
          [0.3  rgb <0.5,0.5,0.5>]
          [1    rgb 1]
         }
       }
     }
   }
   hollow
}

object {moon
  scale Scaling
 }

If you change the Scaling, the size of the moon obviously changes, and also
your distance to the moon. Problem now is that the appearance is different.
I want this moon with an aura, a "glow" effect. Yes, I know of the Lens
Flares of Nathan Kopp, but these files generate a magnitude of error
messages in my PovRay 3.1. And, I am sure it is a simple trick to get the
halo effect of PovRay 3.0 in PovRay 3.1 !

I will include my Xmas card from last year. The moon (and harder to see: the
stars) has the effect I am looking for. I only had to define a "star" and
could scale them to for example the moon.

All the best,

Joost Smits
jsm### [at] prizenl

(check also out http://www.prize.nl/jsmits/ and