POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : revisiting rand(...) Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  revisiting rand(...) (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Kenneth
Subject: revisiting rand(...)
Date: 17 Jul 2018 06:30:00
Message: <web.5b4dc48985ccabb3a47873e10@news.povray.org>
I'm wondering about the documentation for rand(...).

It has stated for a long time that the values that rand produces are "between
0.0 and 1.0, inclusive." But in all my uses of it in scenes, the value never
actually hits those exact values. (Some of my code would actually have a problem
if that happened; but I've never encountered such a problem... which is why I
now ignore the 'inclusivity.')

On a whim, I ran some tests (with different seed(...) values)-- 10,000,000 tries
each time. But I haven't yet seen a 1.0 or a 0.0 occur.

#declare S = seed(17);
#for(i,1,10000000)
#declare R = rand(S);
#if(R = 0.0 | R = 1.0)
#debug concat("\n","rand = ",str(R,1,6),"\n")
#else
#end
#end

Unless there *is* a one-in-a-gazillion chance of it happening (uh, like the
decay of a proton, for example), I think the docs should say, "between 0.0 and
1.0, exclusive."

(BTW, I tried to find the rand() entry in the online wiki, just to see if the
info there has changed since the latest(?) POV-included documentation, but I
didn't know where to look.)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm wondering about the documentation for rand(...).
>
> It has stated for a long time that the values that rand produces are "between
> 0.0 and 1.0, inclusive." But in all my uses of it in scenes, the value never
> actually hits those exact values. (Some of my code would actually have a problem
> if that happened; but I've never encountered such a problem... which is why I
> now ignore the 'inclusivity.')
>
> On a whim, I ran some tests (with different seed(...) values)-- 10,000,000 tries
> each time. But I haven't yet seen a 1.0 or a 0.0 occur.
>
> #declare S = seed(17);
> #for(i,1,10000000)
> #declare R = rand(S);
> #if(R = 0.0 | R = 1.0)
> #debug concat("\n","rand = ",str(R,1,6),"\n")
> #else
> #end
> #end
>
> Unless there *is* a one-in-a-gazillion chance of it happening (uh, like the
> decay of a proton, for example), I think the docs should say, "between 0.0 and
> 1.0, exclusive."
>
> (BTW, I tried to find the rand() entry in the online wiki, just to see if the
> info there has changed since the latest(?) POV-included documentation, but I
> didn't know where to look.)

All values are equally possible, including 0 and 1. The mantissa for a
float is about 52 bits IIRC, so, you have a 1 in 2^52 chances of getting
a 0 and the same of getting a 1. Very small but not zero chance.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm wondering about the documentation for rand(...).

> All values are equally possible, including 0 and 1. The mantissa for a
> float is about 52 bits IIRC, so, you have a 1 in 2^52 chances of getting
> a 0 and the same of getting a 1. Very small but not zero chance.

So then maybe round to the nearest Q decimal place to "compress" the range and
increase the likelihood of getting a 1 or a 0.

See this post in an old thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C51fb4924%241%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C51fb4924%241%40news.povray.org%
3E

Post a reply to this message