POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : #for missing online 3.7.1 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:56:29 EDT (-0400)
  #for missing online 3.7.1 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: dick balaska
Subject: #for missing online 3.7.1
Date: 16 Feb 2018 03:03:14
Message: <5a869042$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/241/

discusses #if #ifdef #switch #range #while, basically everything except
#for.

(Also I notice a 2008 copyright on the bottom of that page. I didn't
think 3.7.1 was *that* old. ;) )

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: #for missing online 3.7.1
Date: 16 Feb 2018 10:41:50
Message: <5a86fbbe$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.02.2018 um 09:03 schrieb dick balaska:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/241/
>
> discusses #if #ifdef #switch #range #while, basically everything except
> #for.
>
> (Also I notice a 2008 copyright on the bottom of that page. I didn't
> think 3.7.1 was *that* old. ;) )

What (besides the URL itself) makes you believe that's the v3.7.1 online
documentation - and how did you arrive at that URL in the first place?

Note the tab above the text reading "POV-Ray 3.6 Documentation Online View".

Also, for giggles, try this URL:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.8.2/241/

The most recent documentation on www.povray.org is the official
documentation of v3.7.0, and its URLs read something like:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_2.html#r3_2_1_3

The "most official" documentation of v3.7.1 / v3.8 can be found on the
Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org).

Post a reply to this message

> Am 16.02.2018 um 09:03 schrieb dick balaska:
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/241/
> >
> > discusses #if #ifdef #switch #range #while, basically everything except
> > #for.
> >
> > (Also I notice a 2008 copyright on the bottom of that page. I didn't
> > think 3.7.1 was *that* old. ;) )
>
> What (besides the URL itself) makes you believe that's the v3.7.1 online
> documentation - and how did you arrive at that URL in the first place?
>
> Note the tab above the text reading "POV-Ray 3.6 Documentation Online View".
>
> Also, for giggles, try this URL:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.8.2/241/

Indeed. The script behind it is able to resolve older (3.5) documentation links
and translate them to 3.6 links based on a table. The script was made to always
use the latest doc version in case of an error. Apparently nobody updated the
table to also include 3.7.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 16.02.2018 um 09:03 schrieb dick balaska:
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/241/
>>
>> discusses #if #ifdef #switch #range #while, basically everything except
>> #for.
>>
>> (Also I notice a 2008 copyright on the bottom of that page. I didn't
>> think 3.7.1 was *that* old. ;) )
>
> What (besides the URL itself) makes you believe that's the v3.7.1 online
> documentation - and how did you arrive at that URL in the first place?

Bleh. I was tired. :)
It was the url. And part of my brain said "there is no 3.7.1 specific
docs. It's 3.7".  And Mr. Google sent me there.

> Note the tab above the text reading "POV-Ray 3.6 Documentation Online View".

This is the part where, if this were facebook, would look like:
1) Open mouth
2) Insert foot
3) Delete post.

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)

Post a reply to this message

> Am 16.02.2018 um 09:03 schrieb dick balaska:
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/241/
>>
>> discusses #if #ifdef #switch #range #while, basically everything except
>> #for.
>>
>> (Also I notice a 2008 copyright on the bottom of that page. I didn't
>> think 3.7.1 was *that* old. ;) )
>
> What (besides the URL itself) makes you believe that's the v3.7.1 online
> documentation - and how did you arrive at that URL in the first place?
>
> Note the tab above the text reading "POV-Ray 3.6 Documentation Online View".
>
> Also, for giggles, try this URL:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.8.2/241/
>

> The most recent documentation on www.povray.org is the official
> documentation of v3.7.0, and its URLs read something like:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_2.html#r3_2_1_3
>

> The "most official" documentation of v3.7.1 / v3.8 can be found on the
> Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org).

POV-Ray 8.2.0 docs are the most accurate docs, because they were written
in the future.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/8.2.0/241/

Mike