POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : New cone and cylinder uv_mapping added to 3.7.1 master. Add note that torus reversed in U. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  New cone and cylinder uv_mapping added to 3.7.1 master. Add note that torus reversed in U. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: New cone and cylinder uv_mapping added to 3.7.1 master. Add note that torus reversed in U.
Date: 16 Nov 2016 09:54:31
Message: <582c7327$1@news.povray.org>
1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
at:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping

to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.

2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
(early 2000s I think).

I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
others would be good.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 11/16/2016 9:54 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
> at:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>
> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>
> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
> (early 2000s I think).
>
> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
> others would be good.

started a new section:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference_Talk:UV_Mapping#Supported_Objects_Updates

i'll keep an eye on that then do the updates later

Post a reply to this message

On 11/16/2016 12:19 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 11/16/2016 9:54 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
>> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
>> at:
>>
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>>
>> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
>> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>>
>> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
>> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
>> (early 2000s I think).
>>
>> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
>> others would be good.
>
> started a new section:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference_Talk:UV_Mapping#Supported_Objects_Updates
>

> i'll keep an eye on that then do the updates later

disregard ... i /should/ be able to glean enough from discussion in
p.beta-test

lol ... think i'll take a nap. dang must be getting old!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 17 Nov 2016 09:12:15
Message: <582dbabf$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/16/2016 9:54 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
> at:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>
> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>
> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
> (early 2000s I think).
>
> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
> others would be good.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping#Supported_Objects

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Nov 2016 05:33:05
Message: <582ed8e1$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/17/2016 09:12 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 11/16/2016 9:54 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
>> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
>> at:
>>
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>>
>> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
>> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>>
>> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
>> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
>> (early 2000s I think).
>>
>> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
>> others would be good.
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping#Supported_Objects

Additions look good to me Jim - thanks.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: New cone and cylinder uv_mapping added to 3.7.1 master. Add note that t=
Date: 18 Nov 2016 06:25:01
Message: <web.582ee3fcf6f2f82716086ed00@news.povray.org>
> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
> at:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>
> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>
> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
> (early 2000s I think).
>
> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
> others would be good.
>
> Bill P.

Does this mean the map_type 3 and 4 are in development,
for POV-Ray, to add more basic mappings to any object even meshes and
environment textures, like:

FLAT map_type 0
SPHERE map_type 1
TUBE map_type 2?
CYLINDER?
CONE?
any CUBE? or still have to use "warp { cubic }..."

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 18 Nov 2016 07:56:26
Message: <582efa7a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.11.2016 um 12:20 schrieb Mr:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> 1) Cone and cylinder uv_mapping have been added to the 3.7.1 master
>> branch compliments of Jérôme. We'll need to update the supported objects
>> at:
>>
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:UV_Mapping
>>
>> to reflect this. I believe the behavior is essentially like that of the
>> recently add lemon uv_mapping - but Jérôme knows best.
>>
>> 2) We've decided to leave the uv_mapping of the torus reversed in U
>> relative to other uv_mapping given it has been this way for a long time
>> (early 2000s I think).
>>
>> I think adding a note its mapping is reversed in U with respect to
>> others would be good.
>>
>> Bill P.
>
> Does this mean the map_type 3 and 4 are in development,
> for POV-Ray, to add more basic mappings to any object even meshes and
> environment textures, like:
>
> FLAT map_type 0
> SPHERE map_type 1
> TUBE map_type 2?
> CYLINDER?
> CONE?
> any CUBE? or still have to use "warp { cubic }..."

Judging from your question, I presume you're not familiar with POV-Ray's
`uv_mapping` keyword.

You can think of this as a "default warp" that is different for each
primitive.

(A drawback of `uv_mapping`, is that it is only useful for surface
textures, whereas `warp` can also be used for volumetric effects.)