POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section. (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section.
Date: 26 Sep 2016 05:38:57
Message: <57e8ecb1$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/25/2016 07:45 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 9/25/2016 6:03 PM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> that i'll teach me to do it from memory ... attached is corrected
>>> version .... #case (1) | #case (2) NOT #case (1|2)
>>
>> Actually it should be `#case (1) #case (2)`. Nothing in between. If
>> you use
>>
>>     #case (1)
>>       ANYTHING
>>     #case (2)
>>       WHATEVER
>>     #break
>>
>> you'll effectively get `ANYTHING WHATEVER` for a value of 1, and
>> `WHATEVER` for a value of 2.
>
> doh ... tested with 2nd case and it passed. when i changed to 1st case
> it belched on |
>
> attached is repaired version

Not opposed to adding the information in the tiling.pov example.

I am opposed to this additional line in the example:

scale TileScale

which will distort what users see when exploring the tiling patterns.

Perhaps make it a comment :

// scale TileScale   // Unit square scale for this pattern if needed.

thought I recommend deleting the line.

Folks need to know the unit tile scale if wrapping the tiles around a
cylinder or doing something like Jaime's wallpaper technique. Just
setting up the switch is enough to provide the information assuming
there is a mention in the documentation that is where the information
is.

I'm also a little unsure of the new additional scale up of <5,1,5>
you've added just below. Feels large. Does it look OK with all 27 tiling
patterns?

Aside: There will be a similar set of 3 scalings for the pavement
pattern, but I've just put in a pull request to add a pavement.pov
example - so I'll go modify that pull request now instead of proposing
wiki updates.

Will you be putting in the tiling.pov pull request yourself, or would
you like me to do it?

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <spa### [at] nothanksnet> wrote:
> On 9/25/2016 6:03 PM, clipka wrote:
> >>
> >> that i'll teach me to do it from memory ... attached is corrected
> >> version .... #case (1) | #case (2) NOT #case (1|2)
> >
> > Actually it should be `#case (1) #case (2)`. Nothing in between. If you use
> >
> >     #case (1)
> >       ANYTHING
> >     #case (2)
> >       WHATEVER
> >     #break
> >
> > you'll effectively get `ANYTHING WHATEVER` for a value of 1, and
> > `WHATEVER` for a value of 2.
>
> doh ... tested with 2nd case and it passed. when i changed to 1st case
> it belched on |
>
> attached is repaired version

First of all, thanks for supplying this test of the tiling pattern. I wasn't
aware of it, or had long since forgotten.

Something I was looking at by using that scene file was to find out how those
patterns would repeat as, well, tiles. Noticing you were rotating the original
tile to make 4 instances I wanted to see them side by side without rotation.

I replaced the scaling of box texture with the following, commenting out the
rotated boxes to put in moved boxes. I used animation to create the series of
images, which is why frame_number is here. That was put into the TilingPattern
declare also. Here's the other change at end of the box object:

#if (frame_number=19|frame_number=20)
scale TileScale /* no differences of tiling pattern 19 and 20 at this scale */
#else // some other scales do not tile repeatedly
scale TileScale/2 /* other patterns tile repeatedly except Penrose 25, 26 and 27
*/
#end
  }
  scale <5,1,5>
} // box

object {TestCase} // about to move tiles around, not rotate
object {TestCase translate <-5,0,0>}
object {TestCase translate <-5,0,-5>}
object {TestCase translate <0,0,-5>}

/*
#local YDir = 0;
#while (YDir < 360)
  object {TestCase rotate y*YDir}
  #declare YDir = YDir + 90;
#end
*/

Now a quandary about those 19 and 20 patterns. Apparently they each track
somewhat opposite (not exact) directions but are seen as identical with this
particular scale of just TileScale, the original. However it can be seen if
scaled smaller, except not able to repeat from what I've seen. I already tried
mirroring, too, but maybe not enough things to discover the repeating pattern
for individual tiles.

Had me thinking it might be one of those Penrose patterns before I realized
those were said to be the last three. Of course I don't know what any of these
are really, besides interesting!

And this was a good opportunity to say thanks to everyone still working on the
POV-Ray stuff.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

On 9/26/2016 5:38 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Not opposed to adding the information in the tiling.pov example.
>
> I am opposed to this additional line in the example:
>
> scale TileScale
>
> which will distort what users see when exploring the tiling patterns.
>
> Perhaps make it a comment :
>
> // scale TileScale   // Unit square scale for this pattern if needed.
>
> thought I recommend deleting the line.

hmmm ... /thought/ this was the whole point of this addition

> Folks need to know the unit tile scale if wrapping the tiles around a
> cylinder or doing something like Jaime's wallpaper technique. Just
> setting up the switch is enough to provide the information assuming
> there is a mention in the documentation that is where the information is.
>
> I'm also a little unsure of the new additional scale up of <5,1,5>
> you've added just below. Feels large. Does it look OK with all 27 tiling
> patterns?

your addition ... didn't you test /all/ those out for yourself. that's
why i threw this back into your court. some of the results looked
questionable to me. as for scale <5,1,5> ... either that or move camera
closer is all ... your code so do what you think is best

> Aside: There will be a similar set of 3 scalings for the pavement
> pattern, but I've just put in a pull request to add a pavement.pov
> example - so I'll go modify that pull request now instead of proposing
> wiki updates.
>
> Will you be putting in the tiling.pov pull request yourself, or would
> you like me to do it?

be my guest ...

Post a reply to this message