POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : looks_like missing example syntax Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:51:25 EDT (-0400)
  looks_like missing example syntax (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: looks_like missing example syntax
Date: 14 Jan 2016 02:18:41
Message: <56974bd1$1@news.povray.org>
The section on the looks_like statement is missing an syntax example for
when you are using it properly. I find this statement kind of confusing,
and would like the docs to explain it better.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 14.01.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> The section on the looks_like statement is missing an syntax example for
> when you are using it properly. I find this statement kind of confusing,
> and would like the docs to explain it better.

The content of the inbuilt documentation is maintained on the POV-Ray
Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org); you are more than welcome to actively
contribute to its improvement.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 14.01.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> The section on the looks_like statement is missing an syntax example for
>> when you are using it properly. I find this statement kind of confusing,
>> and would like the docs to explain it better.
>
> The content of the inbuilt documentation is maintained on the POV-Ray
> Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org); you are more than welcome to actively
> contribute to its improvement.

Unfortunately, I am still trying to figure out how it works.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 16.01.2016 um 06:40 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 1/14/2016 5:55 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 14.01.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> The section on the looks_like statement is missing an syntax example for
>>> when you are using it properly. I find this statement kind of confusing,
>>> and would like the docs to explain it better.
>>
>> The content of the inbuilt documentation is maintained on the POV-Ray
>> Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org); you are more than welcome to actively
>> contribute to its improvement.
>>

> Unfortunately, I am still trying to figure out how it works.

Design an object that looks the way you want the light source to look,
and insert it into the light source as the content of the
"looks_like{...}" block.

The only caveat that I know of is in where to place the object. IIRC it
is auto-translated to the light source position, so you need to design
it as if the light source was at <0,0,0>. I /think/ that little detail
is indeed missing from the docs.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 16.01.2016 um 06:40 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>>
>>> The content of the inbuilt documentation is maintained on the POV-Ray
>>> Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org); you are more than welcome to actively
>>> contribute to its improvement.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, I am still trying to figure out how it works.
>
> Design an object that looks the way you want the light source to look,
> and insert it into the light source as the content of the
> "looks_like{...}" block.
>
> The only caveat that I know of is in where to place the object. IIRC it
> is auto-translated to the light source position, so you need to design
> it as if the light source was at <0,0,0>. I /think/ that little detail
> is indeed missing from the docs.

The looks_like coordinates are relative to the light_source to whitch
it's attached.
I think that it was not always the case, but it's the case since version
3.5, or maybe earlier.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 14.01.2016 um 08:18 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> The section on the looks_like statement is missing an syntax example for
>> when you are using it properly. I find this statement kind of confusing,
>> and would like the docs to explain it better.
>
> The content of the inbuilt documentation is maintained on the POV-Ray
> Wiki (http://wiki.povray.org); you are more than welcome to actively
> contribute to its improvement.

I found these two pages which have better examples, but the help file
index does not point to them so I didn't see them at first:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/40/