POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Withdrawing .. darn it Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:00:37 EDT (-0400)
  Withdrawing .. darn it (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Withdrawing .. darn it
Date: 1 Feb 2005 11:22:27
Message: <41ffacc3$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> If you managed to get it finished, why don't you submit it anyhow ? If
> you email the support line they can re-enable your login. Then, at least
> it will be displayed with the other entries.
>
> -- Chris
That's a nice invitation.  After all, one of the main attractions is the
increased level of exposure, as much as the prizes.
From: Jaap
Date: 1 Feb 2005 12:25:01
Message: <web.41ffba55b230b14ba8399d8d0@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <joh### [at] cornelledu> wrote:
> The worst, however, was two multiple crashes of MegaPOV on the scene at
> about halfway through,
?

have you tried a ram checker (memtest86)?
i found out (the hard way) that foulty ram only shows up in large renders.
(i got errors like "triangle misspelled" in the midle of a large (auto
generated) file with thowsands of triangles.. (and hang-ups :-) )

jaap.
From: Emperor Pygosceles
Date: 1 Feb 2005 14:30:00
Message: <web.41ffd816b230b14b7d21ba300@news.povray.org>
I just barely managed to submit my entry in time.  I am by no means a
professional raytracer, but I had to challenge myself to get somewhere.
Just as I finished several hours of rendering, I noticed that one of the
meshes was missing from the foreground.  It was too late to go back and
replace it, and the scene was still intelligible without it.  I promised
myself I'd enter no matter how crappy my submission was.  At least now I
have a *very remote* understanding of some of what goes on underneath the
program's hood.  I think it would be really nice to have some interactive
graphical interface or preview option so I don't waste three hours
rendering the whole scene just to detect a simple problem in one little
corner.
Anyway, I'm sorry you couldn't finish yours in time.  I can't say my chances
are any better having submitted an entry than not, though.
From: Slime
Date: 1 Feb 2005 14:56:37
Message: <41ffdef5$1@news.povray.org>
> I think it would be really nice to have some interactive
> graphical interface or preview option so I don't waste three hours
> rendering the whole scene just to detect a simple problem in one little
> corner.

+SP16

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 3 Feb 2005 21:44:10
Message: <4202e17a$1@news.povray.org>
> Frequent releases also teach how long a render takes.

Actually, I *was* doing that.  What I wasn't doing was the 2 'detail'
images, as I had been doing close ups of the detail shots in other renders,
so I didn't need to preview those.  The net result is that I was well aware
of how long a render took, but the backup image wouldn't have met the
requirements.

As I noted in the original, due to a versioning mismatch, the photon times
suddenly shut up dramatically the last day, but that's an integration issue.
Like all integration issues, proper planning from the start would have
corrected that, so of course it's my screwup.  *so* much went wrong at the
end there was only so much I could do.  Of course, I could have done better.

  The image is part of a series for a book I'm writing so it will live
again, however.

> This is a "best practice" in software engineering.

  Right.  I've signed checks (authorized funds) for 16 million for software
projects.  (no kidding).  You?  :)

        == John ==
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 3 Feb 2005 21:44:11
Message: <4202e17b@news.povray.org>
Thank you (Chris).  Let me see if I can pin down the fog bug, rerender, and
then I'll try and post something.

I agree about the exposure - this image in particular shows some interesting
'code' things - I have a city that's built programatically, although
distance shots show it a bit better.  The ability to easily extend POV Ray
with SDL is IMHO one of the big attractions, compared to other programs.

        == John ==