POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : How important... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:58:00 EDT (-0400)
  How important... (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Re: How important...
Date: 31 Jan 2005 23:19:58
Message: <41ff036e@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:41fd5560@news.povray.org...

> "Jeremy M. Praay" <sla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

>> In many cases, things look best in the detail views and not in the main
>> image.
>
> You've obviously done the 'large image' thing before, and I haven't. My
> detail images look terrible. :/ I used a couple of image_maps and they
> look ok in my main image, but they are SO pixelated in my details, I've
> got no hope... Still, I hope you (all) enjoy the concept.

I'm sure we will enjoy it.  I wonder when we will get to see the competing
images.  I'm getting anxious.  Mid February  had better come soon.  :-)

I can't imagine being a judge for this competition.  There will undoubtedly
be so many "apples vs. oranges" issues.  Just comparing my entry to some
others that I've seen leaves me no doubt.

> I'm currently rendering "the poster" at 4800x3600 and I'm quite
>> pleased with the way many details look in high-rez.  While I hold out a
>> hope of winning, I'm planning to buy my own poster regardless, so this
>> will not be a wasted effort for me.
>
>  I would love to buy mine, but not as it is. I'll hold out until I sort
> it, (a coupla tweaks! damn!), and then buy it. Heh, I might even buy yours
> when you win Jeremy!  ;)

Good luck with it, especially if it's still rendering as I type.

*sigh*

If I place well, my biggest hurdle of the next few months will likely be my
ego.  And if I place badly, then my ego will be crushed, and I'll have to
deal with that.  Either way, I'm screwed.  ;-)

I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but since it has taken me 5 months
to get where I am, it's probably not something I can easily brush-off.
Luckily, we have a great bunch of people here, so even if I should win, I'm
sure that someone will help me through the emotional turmoil.  If they
can't, me and my Opterons will RULE THE WORLD!!!

I'm figuring that someone we've never heard of before is going to step out
of the wood-work and impress all of us.  We'll all be wondering, "Where the
heck did he (or she) come from?"  Then they'll walk away with the
grand-prize and we'll never hear from them again.  Ok, I'm not really
expecting that...  But the thought has crossed my mind.  I actually have a
handful of names that I'm expecting to see at the top.  But, I probably
shouldn't speculate much more than that.

>    LOL!  :)  "To all PoVers, keep on PoVin'".

And may the blessings of the POV gods be upon us all.  :-)

--
Jeremy "If you're not smiling, then you're taking me too seriously" Praay
www.beantoad.com