POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Anonymity Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:50:04 EDT (-0400)
  Anonymity (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Anonymity
Date: 24 Aug 2004 11:22:09
Message: <412b5d21$1@news.povray.org>
Since we don't know the makeup of the judging panel, it's hard to be
anything more than speculative on this matter.

Anyway, I was wondering how the artist could reasonably remain anonymous.  I
suppose in some cases, where the artist doesn't hang around in this
newsgroup, he/she could remain anonymous.  But for the rest of us, it seems
like the judges may have a fairly good idea of who is submitting what,
unless the artist creates almost all new objects or only reuses objects that
are openly available to everyone (and doesn't display any WIP's to p.b.i.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I were to put together a scene
with, say, one of my radios (from Radio Graves), it could be reasonably
clear to the judges that it was me (assuming they remember/care about
anything I do).  Perhaps that's not the best example, though, since I
provide the source code to radios.  I suppose this also assumes that if I
did use a radio, I would have to mention it in my corresponding text to the
effect, "Used Jeremy M. Praay's Philco 60B radio," in order to remain
anonymous (as opposed to saying "Used one of my previously created radios").

Or...  Am I concerned too much with anonymity?  Is it really not that big of
a deal?

Just something I've been wondering about...

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
> Since we don't know the makeup of the judging panel, it's hard to be
> anything more than speculative on this matter.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering how the artist could reasonably remain anonymous.  I
> suppose in some cases, where the artist doesn't hang around in this
> newsgroup, he/she could remain anonymous.  But for the rest of us, it seems
> like the judges may have a fairly good idea of who is submitting what,
> unless the artist creates almost all new objects or only reuses objects that
> are openly available to everyone (and doesn't display any WIP's to p.b.i.)
<clip>

I was wondering about this, too. Every time I post to p.b.i. I get the
feeling I'm making it easier for the judges to discern my images from
the rest.... especially since any techniques I develop now will probably
end up going into my submission(s).

-Sam
I don't think knowing who has made the image is that important.

  It's true that if a judge sees that an image has been made by a
POV-Ray celebrity (say eg. Gilles Tran or Jaime Piqueres) he will
expect the image to be impressive even before seeing it, but I don't
think it would affect his actual judgement of the image almost at all.

> Since we don't know the makeup of the judging panel, it's hard to be
> anything more than speculative on this matter.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering how the artist could reasonably remain anonymous.  I
> suppose in some cases, where the artist doesn't hang around in this
> newsgroup, he/she could remain anonymous.  But for the rest of us, it seems
> like the judges may have a fairly good idea of who is submitting what,
> unless the artist creates almost all new objects or only reuses objects that
> are openly available to everyone (and doesn't display any WIP's to p.b.i.)
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I were to put together a scene
> with, say, one of my radios (from Radio Graves), it could be reasonably
> clear to the judges that it was me (assuming they remember/care about
> anything I do).  Perhaps that's not the best example, though, since I
> provide the source code to radios.  I suppose this also assumes that if I
> did use a radio, I would have to mention it in my corresponding text to the
> effect, "Used Jeremy M. Praay's Philco 60B radio," in order to remain
> anonymous (as opposed to saying "Used one of my previously created radios").
>
> Or...  Am I concerned too much with anonymity?  Is it really not that big of
> a deal?
>
> Just something I've been wondering about...

That occurred to me too. I tend to dismiss it but not totally.  I won't
go so far as to call it paranoia but I do think there is a perceptual
disconnect.  We feel far more vulnerable and revealed when we make
images than we actually are.

If the judges saw the registration list before hand they might make some
deductive ( inductive? I'm not a logician ) guesses.  And furthermore,
would probably be unable from avoiding doing so.  Without such a list in
hand it would be much more difficult.  They cannot assume the entrants
are limited to the usual cast of characters.

Certain big names on the server do have distinctive styles and ticks.
So it is not an impossibility.  But I would guess that the important job
of judging the best image would soon overshadow such speculation.

Personally if I was making an entry I would not reveal it anywhere but
when I register.  I would want to win or loose solely on the impact of
the image.
From: St
Date: 24 Aug 2004 14:59:55
Message: <412b902b$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message

> Anyway, I was wondering how the artist could reasonably remain
anonymous.

   I was also wondering about this, and the possibility that my
'style' might be known, (if that's actually possible!)

   I'm also anxious about what you have to do, to actually enter...
and I haven't registered yet!  :/

    ~Steve~

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 24 Aug 2004 16:11:15
Message: <412ba0e3$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Personally if I was making an entry I would not reveal it anywhere but
> when I register.  I would want to win or lose solely on the impact of
> the image

I have revealed my project to a few people at work, but yes, I agree.  I
was/am equally reluctant when making an IRTC entry.  Like you say, I guess I
don't want to gain or lose sympathy based on anything other than the image
itself, which I'm guessing is the goal of the organizers in this case.  If I
were judging, I'm sure I would have certain biases, even if I tried not to.
But maybe I'm more petty than the average guy.  Anonymity is good, imho.

Back when I used to paint (maybe I'll get back into that some day, but I was
never very accomplished), I never wanted anyone to see my work until after I
was done.  I'm not sure why, but there are probably some obvious
psychological reasons.  It's sometimes easier to accept criticism after
something is done, rather than while it's in-progress.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 24 Aug 2004 16:27:20
Message: <412ba4a8$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:412b902b$1@news.povray.org...

> "Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
>
> > Anyway, I was wondering how the artist could reasonably remain
> anonymous.
>
>    I was also wondering about this, and the possibility that my
> 'style' might be known, (if that's actually possible!)

Yep, we can recognize your stuff from a mile away... ;-)
(just kidding!)

>    I'm also anxious about what you have to do, to actually enter...
> and I haven't registered yet!  :/

Get registered!

What do you mean, "...about what you have to do, to actually enter"?
Avoiding the obvious "read the rules and guidelines", I'll try to take a
stab at your comment:
If you mean, "What are the judges looking for?"  In a nutshell (and as
someone else has stated), just produce something that is a good showcase for
POV-Ray's features.  However, I can't imagine a complex scene that also uses
isosurfaces, complex textures, glass interiors, media, high focal blur, high
radiosity, lots of photons, area lights, etc.  If someone is producing
something like that, I hope they've already started rendering.  ;-)

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Aug 2004 18:39:45
Message: <412bc3b1@news.povray.org>

> Or...  Am I concerned too much with anonymity?  Is it really not that big
of
> a deal?
> Just something I've been wondering about...

Don't worry. If the competition attracts enough people, each competitor will
be somehow diluted enough. Anonymity is there, I presume, to make sure that
images are first judged for their merit and that the competition does not
become some personal match between known POVers, with specific expectations
from the judges and from the public. Some "leaking" can't be avoided for
sure, as good artists have something known as "style" :), but I can't see
that as a problem.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
From: B  Gimeno
Date: 25 Aug 2004 07:56:26
Message: <412c7e6a$1@news.povray.org>

noticias 412ba4a8$1@news.povray.org...

> POV-Ray's features.  However, I can't imagine a complex scene that also
uses
> isosurfaces, complex textures, glass interiors, media, high focal blur,
high
> radiosity, lots of photons, area lights, etc.  If someone is producing
> something like that, I hope they've already started rendering.  ;-)

If I could render a scene like this, I would not need the first prize
machine :-p

B Gimeno
(ops! my K6 has already finished the RSOCP in only 15 hours!)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 25 Aug 2004 11:10:37
Message: <412cabed$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
<snip>
> good artists have something known as "style" :)

Whew!  I should be safely anonymous, then...

But to be serious again, I've seen some people produce things in what
appeared to be someone else's style, so I can guess that the judges will try
hard not to jump to conclusions either way.

My entry is coming along nicely :-) and I've never done much of anything
like it before.  In fact, I'm not even sure that I would know it was me, if
I wasn't me (what???).  I think I'm probably safe.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com