POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : alpha.10064268 macro problem Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  alpha.10064268 macro problem (Message 20 to 29 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: jr
Subject: Re: alpha.10064268 macro problem
Date: 4 Apr 2021 14:25:00
Message: <web.606a037754e5aaba79819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Instead of a boolean, return an integer flag to be further processed.
> (POV-Ray treats any non-zero value as "true")
> Then you can initially process the result as a boolean like you do, but then
> have a follow-up procedure that instantiates the sphere, maybe using #select.

good thought, yes.  (and your hunch that the problem lies in the .inc was spot
on too)  I'm not yet quite sure how, but the code needs to be .. re-structured.
one/the concern is the size of the .inc file; ironically,  the "troublesome"
'fore_call()' was written to reduce duplication of code within the "walkers".

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> good thought, yes.  (and your hunch that the problem lies in the .inc was spot
> on too)

I kinda thought it had to do with the fore_call, but I didn't catch that it was
the #if statement operating ON the fore_call that was the real issue.
TOK to the rescue again.

> I'm not yet quite sure how, but the code needs to be .. re-structured.
> one/the concern is the size of the .inc file; ironically,  the "troublesome"
> 'fore_call()' was written to reduce duplication of code within the "walkers".

Can't you just add the sphere right after the #if, or just add an #else,
depending on when you want the sphere instantiated?

Post a reply to this message

> > good thought, yes.  (and your hunch that the problem lies in the .inc was spot
> > on too)
>
> I kinda thought it had to do with the fore_call, but I didn't catch that it was
> the #if statement operating ON the fore_call that was the real issue.
> TOK to the rescue again.
>
> > I'm not yet quite sure how, but the code needs to be .. re-structured.
> > one/the concern is the size of the .inc file; ironically,  the "troublesome"
> > 'fore_call()' was written to reduce duplication of code within the "walkers".
>
> Can't you just add the sphere right after the #if, or just add an #else,
> depending on when you want the sphere instantiated?

as I said, not quite sure.  over the coming days I'll do two things: move the
logic of 'fore_call' into the "walker" macros -- 9 items :-(, and re-write the
interface to 'Foreach(array,dictionary)', which will get rid of 'fore_verbose',
give the user named flags (no quite enum, but hey), and keeps all arguments in
one place.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message