POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bug between plane and media Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Bug between plane and media (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Warren
Subject: Bug between plane and media
Date: 10 Aug 2019 08:40:01
Message: <web.5d4ebaca708490849e68eb1f0@news.povray.org>
Hello / Hi
Some time ago I made a scene which includes a media in a sphere and a plane
among other objects. At first the above media wasn't displayed in the rendered
image. I first thought it was me who had done things wrong (bad coordinates,
etc..). But after some further investigations and tweaks in my scene, I had the
conviction the problem was due to a bug (though I'm not sure at 100%). I post
two scenes sums below with the essentials parts (no undeeded objects, just
enough to make the bug appearing: a plane and a media in a sphere with of course
a camera and a light source):

//A scene that works and displays a checkered plane in the background with a
media in the view:
#version 3.8;
global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }
camera{
 location <0, 1, -6>
 look_at <0, 0, 0>
 sky y
 right 1*x
 up 1*y
 direction 1*z
}

light_source{ <20, 20, -40> color srgb 1 }

plane{-z, -4 pigment{ checker color srgb <0, 0, 1>, color srgb <1, 1, 0> } }

sphere{ 0, 1 hollow on pigment{ color srgbft <0, 0, 0, 0, 1> }
  interior{
    media{ emission 1 samples 1,30 intervals 10
      density{
        spherical density_map{
          [0 color srgb 0 ]
          [0.4 color srgb <1, 1, 0> ]
          [1 color srgb <1, 0, 0> ]
        }
       warp{ turbulence 0.25 lambda 4 omega 0.6 }
      }
    }
  }
  translate -2*z
}

But if I change the plane statement line with the following:
plane{z, 4 pigment{ checker color srgb <0, 0, 1>, color srgb <1, 1, 0> } }

Removing the minus signs from 'z' and '4' hide the media when I render that
scene, but the checkered plane is well displayed.

Here is the output of the 'povray --version' command in the terminal:

POV-Ray 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial

This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Antoine FAURE <www.ant01.fr>
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2019 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
  Unsupported image formats: -

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++-8 8
  Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -Wsuggest-override -s -O3
-ffast-math -march=native -pthread

You will notice that changing '#version 3.8;' to '#version 3.7;' doesn't change
anything ( just the same result while rendering scene ).

Post a reply to this message