POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bad cylinder warp causes crash Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:50:27 EDT (-0400)
  Bad cylinder warp causes crash (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Bad cylinder warp causes crash
Date: 30 Nov 2018 17:25:01
Message: <web.5c01b8a81374e197765e06870@news.povray.org>
I was trying to work out how to create a paneled cylindrical tank, like at an
old petroleum refinery - riveted panels of sheet metal, and decided that an
image map with a cylinder warp would be the way to go.

When done improperly, POV-Ray crashes.
A slight change, and it works fine.

The image map I am using is 960 x 480, but I'm sure any image map you use for
testing ought to be fine, as it's the construct / syntax that breaks it, not the
image file.

I can post the image map and the screen shot of the error if necessary.

#version 3.8;
#declare SDL = true;

global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}

#declare Origin = <0, 0, 0>;
#declare Feet = 12;
#declare Meters = 39.37;
#declare Miles = 5280*Feet;

light_source { <0, 50*Miles, -1*Miles>  color rgb <1, 1, 1>}

  #declare Location = <0, 30*Feet, -30*3*Feet>;
  #declare LookAt = <0, 12*Feet, 0>;

#declare Camera_Aspect_Ratio = image_width/image_height;
#declare Camera_Zoom = 1;

camera {
  location Location
 look_at  LookAt
 right x*image_width/image_height
 up y // vertical size of view
}

#declare TankTex =
texture {
 pigment {image_map {png "_Riveted_Panel.png"}
  //translate -0.5
  //rotate x*90
  //scale <.3/pi, 1, 90>
  //translate -z*40
  warp {
   cylindrical
   orientation y
   dist_exp 300
  }
 }
}

#declare TankH = 24*Feet;
#declare TankR = 27*Feet;

cylinder {Origin, y+<0, TankH, 0> 1
scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // scaling before texture causes crash
texture {TankTex}
//scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // after is fine
}

Post a reply to this message

> I was trying to work out how to create a paneled cylindrical tank, like at an
> old petroleum refinery - riveted panels of sheet metal, and decided that an
> image map with a cylinder warp would be the way to go.
>
> When done improperly, POV-Ray crashes.
> A slight change, and it works fine.
>
> The image map I am using is 960 x 480, but I'm sure any image map you use for
> testing ought to be fine, as it's the construct / syntax that breaks it, not the
> image file.
>
> I can post the image map and the screen shot of the error if necessary.
>

> #version 3.8;
> #declare SDL = true;
>
> global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
>
> #declare Origin = <0, 0, 0>;
> #declare Feet = 12;
> #declare Meters = 39.37;
> #declare Miles = 5280*Feet;
>
> light_source { <0, 50*Miles, -1*Miles>  color rgb <1, 1, 1>}
>

>   #declare Location = <0, 30*Feet, -30*3*Feet>;
>   #declare LookAt = <0, 12*Feet, 0>;
>

> #declare Camera_Aspect_Ratio = image_width/image_height;
> #declare Camera_Zoom = 1;
>
> camera {
>   location Location
>  look_at  LookAt
>  right x*image_width/image_height
>  up y // vertical size of view
> }
>
> #declare TankTex =
> texture {
>  pigment {image_map {png "_Riveted_Panel.png"}
>   //translate -0.5
>   //rotate x*90
>   //scale <.3/pi, 1, 90>
>   //translate -z*40
>   warp {
>    cylindrical
>    orientation y
>    dist_exp 300
>   }
>  }
> }
>
> #declare TankH = 24*Feet;
> #declare TankR = 27*Feet;
>
> cylinder {Origin, y+<0, TankH, 0> 1
> scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // scaling before texture causes crash
> texture {TankTex}
> //scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // after is fine
> }

if you scale the texture too it will render.

cylinder {Origin, y+<0, TankH, 0> 1
scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // scaling before texture causes crash
texture {TankTex scale <TankR, 1, TankR> }
//scale <TankR, 1, TankR> // after is fine

i have absolutely no idea what this implies.

Post a reply to this message