POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:42:46 EDT (-0400)
  3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: jmichae3
Subject: 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build
Date: 8 Sep 2016 05:10:00
Message: <web.57d12a86b43fb155944c3db40@news.povray.org>
3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build.

the program is GPL'd, which means it is open source and if a binary is given,
the source code must be made available. but I cannot find the sources.

my platform is vista 32 on an amd athlon x2 "64" which really seems to act like
a 32-bit processor with PAE (address extensions), given they way it can allocate
64GB+/disk of virtual memory just like that, whereas XP32 was limited to
4GB/disk.
fixed virtual memory does not alleviate the need for more RAM, but it helps.
auto-allocated virtual memory always fails to work.

Post a reply to this message

Le 08/09/2016 à 11:08, jmichae3 a écrit :
> 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build.
>
> the program is GPL'd, which means it is open source and if a binary is given,
> the source code must be made available. but I cannot find the sources.

The program is GPL, but the Editor for Windows is a totally different
license.

The GPL sources are on github.

> my platform is vista 32 on an amd athlon x2 "64" which really seems to act like
> a 32-bit processor with PAE (address extensions), given they way it can allocate
> 64GB+/disk of virtual memory just like that, whereas XP32 was limited to
> 4GB/disk.
> fixed virtual memory does not alleviate the need for more RAM, but it helps.
> auto-allocated virtual memory always fails to work.

This problem should have been reported in povray.windows, IMHO.

Post a reply to this message