POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Parse Error: String too long. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Parse Error: String too long. (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: jmichae3
Subject: Parse Error: String too long.
Date: 28 Dec 2014 13:45:01
Message: <web.54a04f3f4e5a99678694a3930@news.povray.org>
Preset INI file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
Preset source file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
Rendering with 12 threads.
-
Parser Options
  Input file: John3_16-17.pov
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    C:\Users\Jim-Michaels\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include
    C:\Windows\Fonts
Animation Options
  Initial Frame:        1  Final Frame:     9104
  Frame Step:           1
  Initial Clock:    4.500  Final Clock:  -11.000
  Cyclic Animation.....Off  Field render.........Off  Odd lines/frames.....Off
Image Output Options
  Image resolution.....720 by 405 (rows 1 to 405, columns 1 to 720).
  Output file..........John3_16-170001.png, 24 bpp PNG
  Dithering............Off
  Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
  Mosaic preview.......Off
  Continued trace......Off
Information Output Options
  All Streams to console..........On
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On
-
"John3_16-17.pov" line 136: Parse Error: String too long.

Render failed
-
CPU time used: kernel 0.06 seconds, user 0.00 seconds, total 0.06 seconds.
Elapsed time 0.39 seconds.

the string has 263 chars. why is this even a problem? if this is written in c++,
use std::string in <string>. please fix.

Post a reply to this message

"jmichae3" <jmi### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Preset INI file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
> Preset source file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
> Rendering with 12 threads.
> -
> Parser Options
>   Input file: John3_16-17.pov
>   Remove bounds........On
>   Split unions.........Off
>   Library paths:
>     C:\Users\Jim-Michaels\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include
>     C:\Windows\Fonts
> Animation Options
>   Initial Frame:        1  Final Frame:     9104
>   Frame Step:           1
>   Initial Clock:    4.500  Final Clock:  -11.000
>   Cyclic Animation.....Off  Field render.........Off  Odd lines/frames.....Off
> Image Output Options
>   Image resolution.....720 by 405 (rows 1 to 405, columns 1 to 720).
>   Output file..........John3_16-170001.png, 24 bpp PNG
>   Dithering............Off
>   Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
>   Mosaic preview.......Off
>   Continued trace......Off
> Information Output Options
>   All Streams to console..........On
>   Debug Stream to console.........On
>   Fatal Stream to console.........On
>   Render Stream to console........On
>   Statistics Stream to console....On
>   Warning Stream to console.......On
> -
> "John3_16-17.pov" line 136: Parse Error: String too long.
>
> Render failed
> -
> CPU time used: kernel 0.06 seconds, user 0.00 seconds, total 0.06 seconds.
> Elapsed time 0.39 seconds.
>

> the string has 263 chars. why is this even a problem? if this is written in c++,
> use std::string in <string>. please fix.

in source/backend/parser/parse.h line 54,
const int MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST = 256;
// this needs to be usable as bit mask, so keep it MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST - 1
const int MAX_STRING_LEN_MASK = (MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST - 1);

is way too small. it should be 65536. I also see another set of strings in the
windows
config that looks a mite small. windows/pvtext.cpp
  char                  str [2048] ;

several of those.

Post a reply to this message

> "jmichae3" <jmi### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> Preset INI file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
>> Preset source file is 'D:\WWW\JESUSNJIM\RAYTRACE\JOHN3_16-17.INI'.
>> Rendering with 12 threads.
>> -
>> Parser Options
>>   Input file: John3_16-17.pov
>>   Remove bounds........On
>>   Split unions.........Off
>>   Library paths:
>>     C:\Users\Jim-Michaels\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include
>>     C:\Windows\Fonts
>> Animation Options
>>   Initial Frame:        1  Final Frame:     9104
>>   Frame Step:           1
>>   Initial Clock:    4.500  Final Clock:  -11.000
>>   Cyclic Animation.....Off  Field render.........Off  Odd lines/frames.....Off
>> Image Output Options
>>   Image resolution.....720 by 405 (rows 1 to 405, columns 1 to 720).
>>   Output file..........John3_16-170001.png, 24 bpp PNG
>>   Dithering............Off
>>   Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
>>   Mosaic preview.......Off
>>   Continued trace......Off
>> Information Output Options
>>   All Streams to console..........On
>>   Debug Stream to console.........On
>>   Fatal Stream to console.........On
>>   Render Stream to console........On
>>   Statistics Stream to console....On
>>   Warning Stream to console.......On
>> -
>> "John3_16-17.pov" line 136: Parse Error: String too long.
>>
>> Render failed
>> -
>> CPU time used: kernel 0.06 seconds, user 0.00 seconds, total 0.06 seconds.
>> Elapsed time 0.39 seconds.
>>

>> the string has 263 chars. why is this even a problem? if this is written in c++,
>> use std::string in <string>. please fix.
>
> in source/backend/parser/parse.h line 54,
> const int MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST = 256;
> // this needs to be usable as bit mask, so keep it MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST - 1
> const int MAX_STRING_LEN_MASK = (MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST - 1);
>
> is way too small. it should be 65536. I also see another set of strings in the
> windows

I have another patch for that (already in a branch, circa 2014-05-18 ),
because replacing a hard limit with another one is just a bad idea.

Btw, there is, in current main branch, an array sized by
MAX_STRING_LEN_FAST, so this increase to 65536 is not a good idea at
all. And limiting fast string to 256 is really what is intended (fast
string is used for token, you do not want to type a 10235 charaters long
identifier anyway). It's just the slower string that must be unbounded.
(as long as your C++ memory allows it)

https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/commits/master

> config that looks a mite small. windows/pvtext.cpp
>   char                  str [2048] ;

I have no clue nor concern about windows port. Somebody else might.

> several of those.

Post a reply to this message