POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : core dump on FreeBSD Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  core dump on FreeBSD (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: jhu
Subject: core dump on FreeBSD
Date: 28 Jan 2014 18:35:01
Message: <web.52e83dae543dfa9fd19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
Was rendering an image with sslt on. 27% of the way through, the rendering fails
with a core dump and the message:

Assertion failed: ((sd >= 0.0) && (sd <= DBL_MAX)), function
ComputeDiffuseContribution, file backend/render/trace.cpp, line 3535.
Abort trap (core dumped)

System is running FreeBSD 9.2 compiled with g++ 4.2.1. This is my first image
I've ever made using sslt, so I suspect it has something to do with that?
Rendered the same image with the Windows version without problems.

Post a reply to this message

> Was rendering an image with sslt on. 27% of the way through, the rendering fails
> with a core dump and the message:
>
> Assertion failed: ((sd >= 0.0) && (sd <= DBL_MAX)), function
> ComputeDiffuseContribution, file backend/render/trace.cpp, line 3535.
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> System is running FreeBSD 9.2 compiled with g++ 4.2.1. This is my first image
> I've ever made using sslt, so I suspect it has something to do with that?
> Rendered the same image with the Windows version without problems.

This is indeed part of the SSLT code. Make sure you don't use pigments
with any zero (or negative) colour components.

Post a reply to this message

> > Was rendering an image with sslt on. 27% of the way through, the rendering fails
> > with a core dump and the message:
> >
> > Assertion failed: ((sd >= 0.0) && (sd <= DBL_MAX)), function
> > ComputeDiffuseContribution, file backend/render/trace.cpp, line 3535.
> > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > System is running FreeBSD 9.2 compiled with g++ 4.2.1. This is my first image
> > I've ever made using sslt, so I suspect it has something to do with that?
> > Rendered the same image with the Windows version without problems.
>
> This is indeed part of the SSLT code. Make sure you don't use pigments
> with any zero (or negative) colour components.

This is strange because I just rendered the same image under Debian 7 and
compiled with g++ 4.7 with no issues.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Was rendering an image with sslt on. 27% of the way through, the rendering fails
>>> with a core dump and the message:
>>>
>>> Assertion failed: ((sd >= 0.0) && (sd <= DBL_MAX)), function
>>> ComputeDiffuseContribution, file backend/render/trace.cpp, line 3535.
>>> Abort trap (core dumped)
>>>
>>> System is running FreeBSD 9.2 compiled with g++ 4.2.1. This is my first image
>>> I've ever made using sslt, so I suspect it has something to do with that?
>>> Rendered the same image with the Windows version without problems.
>>
>> This is indeed part of the SSLT code. Make sure you don't use pigments
>> with any zero (or negative) colour components.
>
> This is strange because I just rendered the same image under Debian 7 and
> compiled with g++ 4.7 with no issues.

This might be due to different floating point rounding modes.

Post a reply to this message

> This is indeed part of the SSLT code. Make sure you don't use pigments
> with any zero (or negative) colour components.

Looks like one of my image_maps had rgb values of 0 in some parts. Increased
those areas to 2 and now it works!

Post a reply to this message

> > This is indeed part of the SSLT code. Make sure you don't use pigments
> > with any zero (or negative) colour components.
>
> Looks like one of my image_maps had rgb values of 0 in some parts. Increased
> those areas to 2 and now it works!

It's happening again:

Assertion failed: ((sd >= 0.0) && (sd <= DBL_MAX)), function
ComputeDiffuseContribution, file backend/render/trace.cpp, line 3535.

So I just edited trace.cpp and added the following in line 3534 :

if (sd < 0.0)
  sd = 0.0;

It works so far.