POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : povray-3.7.0.RC3 - Segmentation fault error Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:53:34 EDT (-0400)
  povray-3.7.0.RC3 - Segmentation fault error (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: davcruz
Subject: povray-3.7.0.RC3 - Segmentation fault error
Date: 29 Nov 2011 05:55:00
Message: <web.4ed4b98c7185271fb85604230@news.povray.org>
Hello there,

I'm getting a segmentation fault error when I call povray in a machine running
Fedora 11. This error appears even when I do not provide a input file. I had
already compiled this version in 2 machines running Fedora 15, and it ran like a
charm... But in the older one I get that error. I compiled boost 1.48 in all 3
machines.

I ran gdb and obtained the following output:

Starting program: /programs_local/povray-3.7.0.RC3/povray-3.7.0.RC3/unix/povray
/export02/user/davide/pymol_compositions/pov/beta_secre_1.pov
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
[New Thread 0xb7f5fb70 (LWP 3183)]

boost::detail::shared_count::operator= (r=<value optimized out>,
    this=<value optimized out>) at boost/detail/shared_count.hpp:237
237         if( tmp != pi_ )

I'll provide more info if necessary

Thanks

Good work

Post a reply to this message

> I'm getting a segmentation fault error when I call povray in a machine running
> Fedora 11. This error appears even when I do not provide a input file. I had
> already compiled this version in 2 machines running Fedora 15, and it ran like a
> charm... But in the older one I get that error. I compiled boost 1.48 in all 3
> machines.
>
> I ran gdb and obtained the following output:
>
> Starting program: /programs_local/povray-3.7.0.RC3/povray-3.7.0.RC3/unix/povray
> /export02/user/davide/pymol_compositions/pov/beta_secre_1.pov
> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
> discouraged.
> [New Thread 0xb7f5fb70 (LWP 3183)]

> boost::detail::shared_count::operator= (r=<value optimized out>,
>      this=<value optimized out>) at boost/detail/shared_count.hpp:237
> 237         if( tmp != pi_ )
>

> I'll provide more info if necessary

The crash is deep inside a boost internal function. Are you sure boost does
not trigger some compiler bug here?

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

On 11/29/2011 01:23 PM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> On 29.11.11 11:53, davcruz wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I'm getting a segmentation fault error when I call povray in a machine
>> running
>> Fedora 11. This error appears even when I do not provide a input file.
>> I had
>> already compiled this version in 2 machines running Fedora 15, and it
>> ran like a
>> charm... But in the older one I get that error. I compiled boost 1.48
>> in all 3
>> machines.
>>
>> I ran gdb and obtained the following output:
>>
>> Starting program:
>> /programs_local/povray-3.7.0.RC3/povray-3.7.0.RC3/unix/povray
>> /export02/user/davide/pymol_compositions/pov/beta_secre_1.pov
>> [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
>> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General
>> distribution is
>> discouraged.
>> [New Thread 0xb7f5fb70 (LWP 3183)]

>> boost::detail::shared_count::operator= (r=<value optimized out>,
>> this=<value optimized out>) at boost/detail/shared_count.hpp:237
>> 237 if( tmp != pi_ )
>>

>> I'll provide more info if necessary
>
> The crash is deep inside a boost internal function. Are you sure boost
> does not trigger some compiler bug here?

that was my read here as well ... last week I was having a look at
openSUSE 12.1 and it built fine against boost 1.48, but I did NOT get a
chance to do any testing ... requirements state 1.37 and I've been
running 1.42 for a while. Recently 1.45 libraries were added so they
could be included with future source distributions ... so I guess I'm
saying anything past 1.45 would be a stretch (your mileage will vary)
... have you tired using an earlier version of boost?