POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : automated google queries? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:51:13 EDT (-0400)
  automated google queries? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: jmichae3
Subject: automated google queries?
Date: 28 Aug 2011 03:50:01
Message: <web.4e59f22fb29834cf379c87210@news.povray.org>
http://www.google.com/custom?q=jmichae3&sa=Google+Search&cof=S%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2F%3BGL%3A0%3BAH%3Acenter%
3BLH%3A100%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2Fi%2Fsearchresultlogo.jpg%3BLW%3A240%3BAWFID%3A12402193cb2b6d0c%3B&domain
s=povray.org%3B+news.povray.org%3B+www.povray.org&sitesearch=news.povray.org

tried to search for a post I posted (which I can't find).
google always gives me the message
"We're sorry...

.... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect
our users, we can't process your request right now.
See Google Help for more information.
"

is this pov-ray.org which is sending out these automated queries, or my network?

this is the URL povray gives me.  I don't have this problem anywhere else, so I
think it's your site.

Post a reply to this message

> tried to search for a post I posted (which I can't find).
> google always gives me the message
> "We're sorry...
>
> .... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect
> our users, we can't process your request right now.
> See Google Help for more information.
> "
>
> is this pov-ray.org which is sending out these automated queries, or my network?
>
> this is the URL povray gives me.  I don't have this problem anywhere else, so I
> think it's your site.

to the best of my knowledge povray.org does not send out automated
queries ... perhaps your computer is now a soldier in some bot net

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 28 Aug 2011 08:09:37
Message: <4e5a3001@news.povray.org>
Am 28.08.2011 09:45, schrieb jmichae3:

http://www.google.com/custom?q=jmichae3&sa=Google+Search&cof=S%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2F%3BGL%3A0%3BAH%3Acenter%

3BLH%3A100%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2Fi%2Fsearchresultlogo.jpg%3BLW%3A240%3BAWFID%3A12402193cb2b6d0c%3B&domain
> s=povray.org%3B+news.povray.org%3B+www.povray.org&sitesearch=news.povray.org
>
> tried to search for a post I posted (which I can't find).
> google always gives me the message
> "We're sorry...
>
> ..... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect
> our users, we can't process your request right now.
> See Google Help for more information.
> "
>
> is this pov-ray.org which is sending out these automated queries, or my network?
>
> this is the URL povray gives me.  I don't have this problem anywhere else, so I
> think it's your site.

You're right, this is a (new) problem with the POV-Ray search page:

     http://www.povray.org/search/

Apparently Google have changed the http syntax of their search queries,
thereby breaking any such "search this site" queries - maybe
deliberately: They're offering a "Google Site Search" service for $100
per year upward.

This is consistent with the current "Google Terms of Service":

5.3 You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services
by any means other than through the interface that is provided by
Google, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate
agreement with Google.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 28 Aug 2011 09:11:58
Message: <4e5a3e9e@news.povray.org>
On 28/08/2011 22:09, clipka wrote:
> Apparently Google have changed the http syntax of their search queries,
> thereby breaking any such "search this site" queries - maybe
> deliberately: They're offering a "Google Site Search" service for $100
> per year upward.
>
> This is consistent with the current "Google Terms of Service":

We were previously using their site search using google-supplied code;
i.e. it was set up with their assistance. They did not provide any
notification of the change to me (I have a webmaster tools account
with them). While of course they are allowed to change it at any time,
doing it in such a way that previously-working code they supplied to
webmasters now gives visitors a nasty message like that is pretty low IMO.

I have now changed the code to work with their latest offerings. This
should work until such time as they choose to break it again
(hopefully, if they do, they will be a little more reasonable in the
way they do it, like saying "please ask the webmaster of this site to
update their search code").

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Aug 2011 09:16:28
Message: <4e5a3fac$1@news.povray.org>
On 28.08.11 14:09, clipka wrote:
> Apparently Google have changed the http syntax of their search queries,
> thereby breaking any such "search this site" queries - maybe deliberately:
> They're offering a "Google Site Search" service for $100 per year upward.

There are multiple services, and their offerings are a bit confusing. On the
one hand there is the commercial "site search", on the other hand there is
the free "custom search", which povray.org is using. Looking at the Google
custom search blog, there seems to have been some change about two months
ago that is now taking effect: http://googlecustomsearch.blogspot.com/

	Thorsten