POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bug or Missing Feature: Image Duplicate Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Bug or Missing Feature: Image Duplicate (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Bug or Missing Feature: Image Duplicate
Date: 6 Jan 2016 12:18:27
Message: <568d4c63@news.povray.org>
Hi,

here I am sitting since almost SIX DAYS rendering with POV-Ray an
8000x45000pixel version of my spaceship, and just when it reached 98%, a
faultily attached USB device caused a restart of my computer.

I wanted to continue the rendering of that image, but I cannot find the
partially rendered image in its folder.

I used RECUVA and tried to find the SIX-DAY-Rendering image among the
deleted files, no success. it has disappeared.

1. Any idea where I can find this image and/or how to restore it?
2. Wouldn't it be a very, very wise solution to have POV-Ray creating
first a temporary image and just on completion writing the original
image (preventing image loss in cases like this)?

Post a reply to this message

Am 06.01.2016 um 18:18 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Hi,
>
> here I am sitting since almost SIX DAYS rendering with POV-Ray an
> 8000x45000pixel version of my spaceship, and just when it reached 98%, a
> faultily attached USB device caused a restart of my computer.
>
> I wanted to continue the rendering of that image, but I cannot find the
> partially rendered image in its folder.
>
> I used RECUVA and tried to find the SIX-DAY-Rendering image among the
> deleted files, no success. it has disappeared.
>
> 1. Any idea where I can find this image and/or how to restore it?
> 2. Wouldn't it be a very, very wise solution to have POV-Ray creating
> first a temporary image and just on completion writing the original
> image (preventing image loss in cases like this)?

The "+C" command line option is your friend in such cases. It lets
POV-Ray pick up an aborted render.

The reason you're not seeing any temporary image data is that as of 3.7,
POV-Ray uses a proprietary format for that purpose.

There also exists a documentation of that format... somewhere.

Post a reply to this message