POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 issue #410 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:40:07 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 issue #410 (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 issue #410
Date: 8 Aug 2021 16:46:10
Message: <XnsAD80E79ED87DFseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.610ef2315f6dda2a5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org jr wrote:

> fwiw: <https://www.fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/fossil-v-git.wiki>

:) I've been using it a lot for years now. Every ctrl-S from many
programms or crtl-B from the editor creates a new entry in the proper
fossil.

--
https://ingoogni.nl

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 9 Aug 2021 03:10:00
Message: <web.6110d4175f6dda2a5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> in news:web.610ef2315f6dda2a5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org jr wrote:
>
> > fwiw: <https://www.fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/fossil-v-git.wiki>
> >

> :) I've been using it a lot for years now. ...

</tap-nose>  :-)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 9 Aug 2021 08:25:00
Message: <web.61111ddd5f6dda2a6adeaecb3f378f2@news.povray.org>

> And to be frank, the GitHub infrastructure around the repo has been
> quite an asset in the development work ever since. With the manpower
> available to us, it would have been impossible to set up (let alone
> maintain!) anything even remotely like it on our own turf.
[...]
> We also got some feedback and contributions via GitHub that we might not
> have gotten otherwise. Certainly not on as large a scale as in CompuServ
> times, but still.
>
> Among those who got into touch with us were the folks who maintain the
> "homebrew" packages to provide *NIX software for MacOS. Which put
> official MacOS compatibility back on the menu, after it had already
> dropped off the back of the truck in the years prior.
[...]

> The issue tracker also proved useful, if only because it meant we no
> longer had to waste time keeping spammers out of our self-hosted bug
> tracker.
[...]
> And a developers' manual, just because we could. I had already set up a
> few scripts and configs for that purpose years ago for my own use, but
> never got around to setting up a channel for publishing the generated
> documents.
[...]
> Even whether beta.1 would be out yet, without GitHub's ease of deploying
> software, is anybody's guess. It might still be in the pipeline between
> me and Chris Cason. Or I might still be procrastinating about even
> actually running the build process on my local machine. Having GitHub
> run it is so much easier and leaves far less room for PEBCAK errors,
> once the process has been set up.
>

> There's no fault in being somewhat suspicious of 3rd party services like
> GitHub. But let that not blind you to their benefits.
>
> Division of labour has been one of the most efficient strategies in the
> history of humanity, and this is just another application of that principle.

Thanks for taking the time to explicit all of this ! I wasn't aware that a (3.7)
Homebrew package was available and just added it to the informal wiki
page(https://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Install_POV#Mac_OS.2FX). May we send
the maintainers for it some kind of notification /request about the 3.8 alpha ?