POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:44:09 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10
Date: 25 Jul 2021 03:45:46
Message: <60fd16aa$1@news.povray.org>
I am currently testing a macro by jr.: tabulated.inc. In one of his demo
scenes he uses the following line:

#declare seed_ = val(datetime(now,"%s"));

Using Windows10, and POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1, I get the following error:

Parse Error: Invalid formatting code in format string, or resulting
string too long.

I contacted jr. about this and he answered the following:

"POV-Ray's documentation says the "..optional STRING parameter should
conform to the same formatting as that of the strftime() C function."
and (lowercase) "%s" is documented as described and used.  I assume
that the Windows 'strftime()' does not provide that option?  else it
would be a POV-Ray on Windows bug, I guess."

I mention this error also on behalf of jr. I am not sure about which
system jr. uses, obviously not Windows, but he will jump in if you need
to know.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

(thanks, could not post this as I have no MS Windows machine)

> #declare seed_ = val(datetime(now,"%s"));

just to confirm, this works on all Linux systems I have access to, incl a Debian
VM with (oldest) POV-Ray-3.7.0.8.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message