POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 02:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache. (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache.
Date: 15 Apr 2020 12:55:44
Message: <5e973c90$1@news.povray.org>
In my povr branch I'm flipping the shape polarity of f_superellipsoid
from positive to negative so it's a more standard implementation for a
function.

On seeing the code many could be constants, I asked myself how fast can
we go if we C++ compiled for a particular superellipsoid. The answer is
a lot faster! See result (i) below. But yeah, not that realistic as a
general approach as it's basically inlining enough of the function call
to enable some compiler optimizations it looks.

I then didn't leave well enough alone and proceeded down the rabbit
hole. The summary of this journey with respect to v38 is basically.

(1) Adopt the shadow cache fixes in my solver branch and discussed in
github pull request #358. Single, expensive shapes like this especially
those shadow cache fixes speed things up. See (a -> c) and (b -> h). 20+
% speed up from v38 master.

(2) For reasons I do not understand it looks like coding
f_superellipsoid as a macro is a lot faster than any inbuilt method. See
(a -> b) and (c -> h). It works so do it in v38 as at least an option to
normal function calls. 24.5% speed up. (Anyone have a thought as to why?
We are passing fewer parameters, but that seems a stretch to explain the
bulk of the difference. I've not dug.)

(3) Sort of a general educational / learning thing - and perhaps a place
where v38 could be better. I often code equations in the function call
parameter positions. Where these can be SDL declare/local constants, do
the latter as it's a lot faster. See (d -> c) 12% speed up. Here it
should be the parser could fix the values itself on the calls with
enough smarts, but it doesn't and so the function / vm looks to be doing
these evaluations on each call from the isosurface.

Some reference code / comments below.

Bill P.

//---
      #declare EW = 0.5;
#declare NS = 0.5;
#declare P2 = (2.0/EW);
#declare P3 = EW*(1.0/NS);
#declare P4 = 2*(1/NS);
#declare P5 = (NS*0.5);
#declare Fn00 = function {
     -1+pow((pow((pow(abs(x),P2)
                 +pow(abs(y),P2)),P3)
                 +pow(abs(z),P4)),P5)
}
#declare Iso99 = isosurface {

//----- v38 master
//a) function { -f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,0.5,0.5) }
     //a) 268.56s, 274.586s  Extra negation? No.
     //a) Primarily one of my shadow cache fixes.
     //a) (double root evaluations)

//b) function { Fn00(x,y,z) }
     //b)  206.44s, 210.211s  // In v38 master too, a
     //b) macro would be better.

//------ povr
//c) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,0,0.5,0.5,0,0) }
     //c 207.772s  // See above. Better -22% from master.

//d) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,1,(2.0/EW),
//             EW*(1.0/NS),2*(1/NS),(NS*0.5)) }
     //d) 237.771s  // Calcs in args. +13.70%

//e) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,1,P2,P3,P4,P5) }
     //e) 209.125s  // With conditional still slower. +0.65%

//f) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,1,P2,P3,P4,P5) }
     //f) 207.478s  // hard code conditional. -0.79%

//g) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,1,P2,P3,P4,P5) }
     //g) 206.670s  // Allocate new DBL vars. -0.53%

     function { Fn00(x,y,z) }  //h)
     //h) 156.363s  // Interesting. A macro would be better.

//i) function { f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,1,P2,P3,P4,P5) }
//i)  65.552s  // Compile with constants in place. 2-3x faster.

     contained_by { box { -2.0,2.0 } }
     threshold 0
     accuracy 0.0005
     max_gradient 5.1