POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Small scene causing beta 14 to exit on completion ... Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:41:15 EDT (-0400)
  Small scene causing beta 14 to exit on completion ... (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mike Andrews
Subject: Small scene causing beta 14 to exit on completion ...
Date: 18 Aug 2006 07:15:00
Message: <web.44e5a00bfcc26e0fc717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,

I've posted a similar message on the Windows group about a small, apparently
sensible scene, throwing an unhandled exception.

I've now tried a very similar scene on beta 14, causing it to exit on
completion. The scene is appended below. I can see nothing wrong with the
scene code and I'd appreciate knowing why it fails.

System: 933MHz PIII, 512Mb, Win XP Pro SP2, PoV-Ray
v3.7.0.beta.14.icl8.win32

Bye for now,

Mike Andrews.

// --- code starts ---

#declare camPos = 5*<-0.1,6,-5>;

camera{
  ultra_wide_angle
  up y
  right x*4/3
  location camPos
  look_at  0
  angle 50
}

#declare Phi=(sqrt(5)+1)/2;
#declare rPhi=2-Phi;

#declare Cen = (Phi-1)/(2*Phi-1);

#declare Ill = box {
  <0.1,-rPhi-0.1,-0.01>,<0.9,-0.1,0.01>
  translate <-Cen,0,-Phi*(1-Cen)>
}

#declare Scl = 1;
#declare Rot = 0;
#declare C = 0; #while (C < 10)
  object {
    Ill scale Scl rotate -Rot*y
    translate <Cen,0,Phi*(1-Cen)>-<0.5,0,Phi/2>
    rotate 90*y
    scale 20
    pigment { rgb 1 }
    finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
  }
  #declare Scl = Scl/Phi;
  #declare Rot = Rot+90;
#declare C = C + 1; #end

// --- code ends ---

Post a reply to this message

> I've posted a similar message on the Windows group about a small,
> apparently
> sensible scene, throwing an unhandled exception.
>
> I've now tried a very similar scene on beta 14, causing it to exit on
> completion. The scene is appended below. I can see nothing wrong with the
> scene code and I'd appreciate knowing why it fails.
>
> System: 933MHz PIII, 512Mb, Win XP Pro SP2, PoV-Ray
> v3.7.0.beta.14.icl8.win32

I got the same on my system however I'm running as follows:
System: 2.39GHz P4 1GB Win XP Pro SP2, PoV-Ray v3.6.icl8.win32

so either something got missed in the last release or it IS something with
your code ....

I was curious when I recalled I had v3.5.ic18.win32 installed as well so I
ran your file using that version and it finished the render .....

so maybe it's NOT your code .....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

This seems to be a very odd fault, as the code is almost identical to code I
often use and I can not discern anything wierd about it. I'm hoping the devs
can figure it out ...

Bye for now,

Mike Andrews.

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Mike Andrews" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I've posted a similar message on the Windows group about a small,
> > apparently
> > sensible scene, throwing an unhandled exception.
> >
> > I've now tried a very similar scene on beta 14, causing it to exit on
> > completion. The scene is appended below. I can see nothing wrong with the
> > scene code and I'd appreciate knowing why it fails.
> >
> > System: 933MHz PIII, 512Mb, Win XP Pro SP2, PoV-Ray
> > v3.7.0.beta.14.icl8.win32
>
> I got the same on my system however I'm running as follows:
> System: 2.39GHz P4 1GB Win XP Pro SP2, PoV-Ray v3.6.icl8.win32
>
> so either something got missed in the last release or it IS something with
> your code ....
>
> I was curious when I recalled I had v3.5.ic18.win32 installed as well so I
> ran your file using that version and it finished the render .....
>
> so maybe it's NOT your code .....
>

> Jim

Post a reply to this message