POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.8 and text {} Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:37:44 EDT (-0400)
  3.8 and text {} (Message 18 to 18 of 18)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Hello darkness (was Re: 3.8 and text {})
Date: 29 May 2021 16:20:00
Message: <web.60b2a119bf609be6860b50e9afff112@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> I think really my only way out is to bite the bullet, surrender to
> clipka, and rework the whole shebang to gamma 1.0.

All that, only to suppress some parser warnings about `text`?

There had been some attempts to clean up character encoding related stuff (you
know, ASCII vs. Latin-1 vs. Windows-1252 vs. Windows-1251 vs. Mac OS Roman vs.
UTF-8 vs. UCS-2 vs. UTF-16 vs. Whatever-Have-You) that turned out to stretch its
dirty tentacles deep into the heart of the `text` code, revealing that the
POV-Ray default fonts are totally borked, etc etc...

The 2019 status of POV-Ray was right smack-bang in the middle of trying to get
to grips with all that madness. Unless I run away screaming again, the current
state of affairs with overzealous text-related warnings will settle down a bit.
For starters, I guess I could spare you a few warnings as long as you promise to
stick to ASCII characters only...

> It's only 90,984 lines of lovingly handcrafted SDL.  (And 17,047 lines
> of Java and 9,799 lines of c++ giving 68,245 separate images.)
>
> How hard can it be?
>
> [insert maniacal laughter here]

Not too shabby. That's actually in a similar ballbark as the POV-Ray back-end
(22k Base, 48k Core, 23k Parser, 5k POVMS, 7k miscellaneous Backend, last time
someone counted; for a total of about 105k lines of code).

Indeed, how hard can it possibly be...