POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Experimental features branch Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Experimental features branch (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: clipka
Subject: Experimental features branch
Date: 20 Jan 2019 12:32:06
Message: <5c44b096$1@news.povray.org>
Updated the Lommel-Seeliger / Oren-Nayar branch with all the latest
v3.8.0-alpha features, and released it under a new designation:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-x.10021928

The `v3.8.0-x.NUMBER` designation is not intended to specifically denote
this pair of features, but rather a particular collection of additional
features quite likely to undergo further compatibility-breaking changes
before integration into the official development branch, but at the same
time highly unlikely to be ditched again. Lommel-Seeliger and Oren-Nayar
just happen to be the first such features to be in this branch.

For example, with the Oren-Nayar diffuse model I am not sure yet whether
the parameter should specify the /standard deviation/ (sigma) or the
/variance/ (sigma squared) of the microfacets orientation. A comparison
with the parameterization used by other renderers (Blender maybe?) could
be of use there.

Also, the interaction between both new models and the `fresnel` feature
may still be subject to change; the current behaviour is simply emergent
from the simplest implementation, and may not be the most useful.

Post a reply to this message

For all these experimental branches, is there a way to read the change
logs without downloading the executables?

Mike