POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface scattering Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface scattering (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Subsurface scattering
Date: 5 Feb 2018 07:56:30
Message: <5a78547e@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2018 6:16 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 02/05/2018 04:20 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I tried an old scene that worked properly in uberpov, but I see no
>> effect in 3.7.0 or 3.8.0 alpha.
>>
>> Here are my global_settings:
>>

>> global_settings
>> {
>>      assumed_gamma    1
>>      #if (Use_Radiosity = 1)
>>          radiosity
>>          {
>>              pretrace_start    0.1
>>              pretrace_end    0.001
>>              recursion_limit    2
>>              count            3
>>              nearest_count    20,10
>>              always_sample    off
>>              maximum_reuse    0.1
>>              minimum_reuse    0.001
>> //            no_cache
>>          }
>>      #end
>>      ambient_light    0
>> //    mm_per_unit        0.4
>>      mm_per_unit        1/4000
>>      adc_bailout        0.001
>>      max_trace_level    8
>>      subsurface
>>      {
>>          samples 5, 5
>>          radiosity true
>>      }
>> }
>>

>> Here is my finish:
>>
>>      #declare lg_solid_finish = finish
>>      {
>>          ambient    0
>>          #if (lg_quality >= 2)
>>              diffuse albedo    0.9
>>              specular albedo    PlasticSpecularity
>>              roughness PlasticRoughness
>>              fresnel on
>>              reflection
>>              {
>>                  PlasticSpecularity
>> //                roughness PlasticRoughness
>>                  fresnel on
>>              }
>>          #end
>>          conserve_energy
>>      }
>>

>> Are there additional settings I am missing?
>>

>> Mike
>
> You need a subsurface {} block in your finish {} block in addition too
> the one in global_settings {}.
>
> Remember there are almost always example scenes for features. A
> subsurface.pov sample scene ships with POV-Ray. It can also be found
> online at:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/master/distribution/scenes/subsurface
>

> Bill P.

Thanks!!

For LEGO, should I just reuse the surface color for the transparency? Or
something else, like white or black?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2018 11:43:31
Message: <5a7889b3@news.povray.org>
Am 04.02.2018 um 07:59 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Does POV have this feature yet, or is it still just an Uberpov thing?

It never was an UberPOV-only thing in the first place ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2018 12:18:13
Message: <5a7891d5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2018 um 03:10 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 2/4/2018 3:03 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 04/02/2018 06:59, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> Does POV have this feature yet, or is it still just an Uberpov thing?
>>>

>> Yes in Ver 3.7
>>

> Does anyone know what appropriate values might be for LEGO (Ldraw) models?
>
> Here are the mm and ldu units:
>
> http://www.brickwiki.info/wiki/LDraw_unit

According to that table, and presuming that POV-Ray export of LDraw
models uses 1 LDU = 1 unit in POV-Ray, you should use

    global_settings {
      mm_per_unit 0.4
    }

and either of:

    // opaque (ABS, acrylnitrile butadien styrene)
    interior { ior 1.6 }

    // transparent (Makrolon(R), a polycarbonate)
    interior { ior 1.585 dispersion 1.02 }

    // axles (polyamide, maybe Nylon)
    interior { ior 1.53 }

(The `ior.inc` in the master branch contains values for ABS and PC,
named `iorABS`, `iorPC` and `dispPC`, respectively, but not for PC yet;
it also needs a POV-Ray version newer than v3.7.0.)

As for the subsurface translucency values, you'll have to tinker. I know
of no measured values, and the properties may differ from colour to colour.

Post a reply to this message