POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:34:07 EDT (-0400)
  Texture testing needed (Message 34 to 43 of 43)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Texture testing needed
Date: 1 Sep 2016 12:28:19
Message: <57c85723$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/01/2016 11:52 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 01.09.2016 um 16:46 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> FYI - I was able to track the change in brilliance > 1 behavior all the
>> way back to commit :
>>
>> 54b283a - Improved finish features for more realism:
>>
>> of July 23, 2014!
>>
>> Good news is I believe refactor/texture has it right.
>
> That commit shouldn't have changed a thing for existing scenes; all the
> added features should require extra keywords to enable: Radiosity
> support for brilliance, for instance, should require `brilliance on` in
> the radiosity block.
>

> BTW, with all the updates you have sent, I notice that I'm losing track
> of which differences in output you've noticed between our "cornerstone"
> versions (official 3.7.0, feature/texture branch, and recent master
> branch), what features you have found to be involved in those
> differences, and what you have already managed to dig up about the exact
> commit that changed the behaviour. If you could give me a summary, that
> would be highly welcome.
>
> (Sorry if I'm pestering you with this; I want you to know that your
> research into this matter is very much appreciated.)

In summary:

With radiosity on, there are smallish radiosity differences between
3.7.0-stable and any 3.7.1 version on or after commit c891131. At the
moment I think these are ignorable as the cost of that fix.

With radiosity off, finish statements with brilliance>1.0 are
different/dimmer in 3.7.1 versions other than your latest
3.7.1-alpha.8738139 (refactor/texture). This change in behavior happened
with commit 54b283a as the commit prior (9b10411) matches 3.7.0-stable.
The scene file elsewhere attached to this thread can be used to
reproduce this result - though note you'll have to set the version to
3.7 as both commits came before the change to 3.7.1.

I am running on on Ubuntu 16.04.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Am 01.09.2016 um 18:28 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> In summary:
>
> With radiosity on, there are smallish radiosity differences between
> 3.7.0-stable and any 3.7.1 version on or after commit c891131. At the
> moment I think these are ignorable as the cost of that fix.

Hm... they might be due to the fix affecting the positions of the
radiosity samples gathered during pretrace. But I'm not entirely
satisfied about this yet.

> With radiosity off, finish statements with brilliance>1.0 are
> different/dimmer in 3.7.1 versions other than your latest
> 3.7.1-alpha.8738139 (refactor/texture). This change in behavior happened
> with commit 54b283a as the commit prior (9b10411) matches 3.7.0-stable.
> The scene file elsewhere attached to this thread can be used to
> reproduce this result - though note you'll have to set the version to
> 3.7 as both commits came before the change to 3.7.1.

If that is so, then the conclusion I'd draw is that I probably messed up
something in 54b283a when introducing the advanced finish features, and
fixed it during texture refactoring without realizing and/or remembering it.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 01.09.2016 um 18:28 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> In summary:
>>
>> With radiosity on, there are smallish radiosity differences between
>> 3.7.0-stable and any 3.7.1 version on or after commit c891131. At the
>> moment I think these are ignorable as the cost of that fix.
>
> Hm... they might be due to the fix affecting the positions of the
> radiosity samples gathered during pretrace. But I'm not entirely
> satisfied about this yet.

I am not myself sure it explains all of what I see with radiosity, but I
believe that commit at least a partly the cause.

>> With radiosity off, finish statements with brilliance>1.0 are
>> different/dimmer in 3.7.1 versions other than your latest
>> 3.7.1-alpha.8738139 (refactor/texture). This change in behavior happened
>> with commit 54b283a as the commit prior (9b10411) matches 3.7.0-stable.
>> The scene file elsewhere attached to this thread can be used to
>> reproduce this result - though note you'll have to set the version to
>> 3.7 as both commits came before the change to 3.7.1.
>
> If that is so, then the conclusion I'd draw is that I probably messed up
> something in 54b283a when introducing the advanced finish features, and
> fixed it during texture refactoring without realizing and/or remembering it.

FYI. I've done some additional spot checking of cases where results were
changing. With these, I turned off radiosity and edited materials so
brillance was never more than 1.0. At least in the handful checked this
way, 3.7.0 -> 3.7.1 -> refactor/texture results compare well.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message