POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clockless_Animation Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:41:52 EDT (-0400)
  Clockless_Animation (Message 1 to 10 of 44)
From: muyu
Subject: Clockless_Animation
Date: 23 Jun 2017 12:05:00
Message: <web.594d3bddd61573accf0bfa9c0@news.povray.org>
I would like to generate animation using a very big file. It took a lot of time
in sparsing. Each time, only the camera position will change.  As I see,
Clockless_Animation may be the function to save the time cost.

I set the following in .ini file:
Real_Time_Raytracing = on
Clockless_Animation = on

I add several camera positions, but there is in the DSL. The rendering runs
without stop and no output.

I guess that I missed some information. Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Shouyang

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to generate animation using a very big file. It took a lot of time
> in sparsing. Each time, only the camera position will change.  As I see,
> Clockless_Animation may be the function to save the time cost.
>
> I set the following in .ini file:
> Real_Time_Raytracing = on
> Clockless_Animation = on
>

> I add several camera positions, but there is in the DSL. The rendering runs
> without stop and no output.
>
> I guess that I missed some information. Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
>
> Shouyang

I, like you, have never been able to get this option to work. I just
pulled the demo scene from:

http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=54

and tried again. I get a blank screen on Ubuntu and stats that indicate
a single fame rendered though the screen is black. If I render without
the +rtr +kla command line versions of your options I get a valid render
preview and output file.

IIRC, most testing of this tentative feature was done on windows so
perhaps it works there?

This feature isn't that useful without screen capture (win32 only I
think when it worked) or some method to modify the scene via keyboard
input say as a sort of modeling aid. Windows had to be pretty small too,
if I remember, to get decent frame rates.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Le 24/06/2017 à 15:08, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> On 06/23/2017 12:03 PM, muyu wrote:
>> I would like to generate animation using a very big file. It took a
>> lot of time
>> in sparsing. Each time, only the camera position will change.  As I see,
>> Clockless_Animation may be the function to save the time cost.
>>
>> I set the following in .ini file:
>> Real_Time_Raytracing = on
>> Clockless_Animation = on
>>

>> I add several camera positions, but there is in the DSL. The rendering
>> runs
>> without stop and no output.
>>
>> I guess that I missed some information. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Shouyang
>>

> I, like you, have never been able to get this option to work. I just
> pulled the demo scene from:
>
> http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=54
>
> and tried again. I get a blank screen on Ubuntu and stats that indicate
> a single fame rendered though the screen is black. If I render without
> the +rtr +kla command line versions of your options I get a valid render
> preview and output file.
>
> IIRC, most testing of this tentative feature was done on windows so
> perhaps it works there?
>
> This feature isn't that useful without screen capture (win32 only I
> think when it worked) or some method to modify the scene via keyboard
> input say as a sort of modeling aid. Windows had to be pretty small too,
> if I remember, to get decent frame rates.

From old memory, IIRC, there is no output file when you use the realtime
rendering mode. NEVER.

The relevant code was tagged as experimental, and you need multiple
camera declared during the parsing (no #if /#else..., just many cameras).

And you need to compile with RTR_HACK defined, not something done by
default on Unix. (in fact, this define was only visible in the windows
virtual front-end... )

Post a reply to this message

> > I would like to generate animation using a very big file. It took a lot of time
> > in sparsing. Each time, only the camera position will change.  As I see,
> > Clockless_Animation may be the function to save the time cost.
> >
> > I set the following in .ini file:
> > Real_Time_Raytracing = on
> > Clockless_Animation = on
> >

> > I add several camera positions, but there is in the DSL. The rendering runs
> > without stop and no output.

> I, like you, have never been able to get this option to work. I just
> pulled the demo scene from:
>
> http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=54
>
> and tried again. I get a blank screen on Ubuntu and stats that indicate
> a single fame rendered though the screen is black. If I render without
> the +rtr +kla command line versions of your options I get a valid render
> preview and output file.
>
> IIRC, most testing of this tentative feature was done on windows so
> perhaps it works there?
>
> This feature isn't that useful without screen capture (win32 only I
> think when it worked) or some method to modify the scene via keyboard
> input say as a sort of modeling aid. Windows had to be pretty small too,
> if I remember, to get decent frame rates.

I tried the example file on windows 10 with 3.7.1 release candidate 1 and it
does render the window at a good frame rate up to 320 x 240 resolution for me.
Unfortunately I forgot to check for an output file of any kind before I left
home.

Post a reply to this message

On 06/24/2017 02:44 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 24/06/2017 à 15:08, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>
>  From old memory, IIRC, there is no output file when you use the realtime
> rendering mode. NEVER.
>
> The relevant code was tagged as experimental, and you need multiple
> camera declared during the parsing (no #if /#else..., just many cameras).
>
> And you need to compile with RTR_HACK defined, not something done by
> default on Unix. (in fact, this define was only visible in the windows
> virtual front-end... )

Thanks for the testing and background Bob & Jérôme.

I've opened at github issue. See:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/301

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: muyu
Date: 25 Jun 2017 10:30:00
Message: <web.594fc875992dfbe2cf0bfa9c0@news.povray.org>
> On 06/24/2017 02:44 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> > Le 24/06/2017 à 15:08, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> >
> >  From old memory, IIRC, there is no output file when you use the realtime
> > rendering mode. NEVER.
> >
> > The relevant code was tagged as experimental, and you need multiple
> > camera declared during the parsing (no #if /#else..., just many cameras).
> >
> > And you need to compile with RTR_HACK defined, not something done by
> > default on Unix. (in fact, this define was only visible in the windows
> > virtual front-end... )
> >

> Thanks for the testing and background Bob & Jérôme.
>
> I've opened at github issue. See:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/301
>
> Bill P.

Thanks a lot. Hopefully this feature will work soon.

Shouyang

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Jun 2017 15:30:00
Message: <web.59516075992dfbe26c6d834f0@news.povray.org>
"muyu" <lsy### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I would like to generate animation using a very big file. It took a lot of time
> in sparsing. Each time, only the camera position will change.  As I see,
> Clockless_Animation may be the function to save the time cost.
>
> I set the following in .ini file:
> Real_Time_Raytracing = on
> Clockless_Animation = on
>

> I add several camera positions, but there is in the DSL. The rendering runs
> without stop and no output.
>
> I guess that I missed some information. Thanks in advance.

You are mixing up two things. The real-time raytracing "feature" is just a demo
mode on Windows, and was never meant to be used for anything useful other than
showing how powerful modern processors are, i.e. on a computer at at least
tradeshow booth.

The clockless animation on the other hand is a useful features that allows you
to move the camera in a scene without reparsing. While it was developed for the
demo mode at first, and that is probably where you got the idea to use both
settings together, but really, you just need to disable the real-time rendering
option (which effectively just screws up internal options and their logic to
bypass certain code needed for proper rendering). Then, the clockless animation
shoudl work as documented as long as you have a camera for each frame in your
scene as described in the docs.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Jun 2017 15:35:00
Message: <web.5951615e992dfbe26c6d834f0@news.povray.org>
> On 06/24/2017 02:44 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> > Le 24/06/2017 à 15:08, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> >
> >  From old memory, IIRC, there is no output file when you use the realtime
> > rendering mode. NEVER.
> >
> > The relevant code was tagged as experimental, and you need multiple
> > camera declared during the parsing (no #if /#else..., just many cameras).
> >
> > And you need to compile with RTR_HACK defined, not something done by
> > default on Unix. (in fact, this define was only visible in the windows
> > virtual front-end... )
> >

> Thanks for the testing and background Bob & Jérôme.
>
> I've opened at github issue. See:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/301

.... which should just be closed because you reported something that works
exactly as designed. The mode is for developers to specify exact behavior in a
hands-on manner with one on one support, and not for users without such
guidance. The "solution" should probably be to disable that option from being
accepted by a condictional compile as well ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 26 Jun 2017 15:46:15
Message: <59516487@news.povray.org>
Am 26.06.2017 um 21:32 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

>> I've opened at github issue. See:
>>
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/301
>
> .... which should just be closed because you reported something that works
> exactly as designed. The mode is for developers to specify exact behavior in a
> hands-on manner with one on one support, and not for users without such
> guidance. The "solution" should probably be to disable that option from being
> accepted by a condictional compile as well ;-)

Actually, the issue should be left open until it is resolved.

In my book, the first step in resolving it would be to document what the
real-time rendering mode is for anyway (even if that documentation would
just be a line saying "not intended for normal users", that would be an
improvement over the current situation).

As demonstrated, it would also be helpful to document that clockless
animation and real-time rendering are two entirely(?) different things.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 27 Jun 2017 04:25:01
Message: <web.5952160b992dfbe216086ed00@news.povray.org>
> Am 26.06.2017 um 21:32 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:
>
> >> I've opened at github issue. See:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/301
> >
> > .... which should just be closed because you reported something that works
> > exactly as designed. The mode is for developers to specify exact behavior in a
> > hands-on manner with one on one support, and not for users without such
> > guidance. The "solution" should probably be to disable that option from being
> > accepted by a condictional compile as well ;-)
>
> Actually, the issue should be left open until it is resolved.
>
> In my book, the first step in resolving it would be to document what the
> real-time rendering mode is for anyway (even if that documentation would
> just be a line saying "not intended for normal users", that would be an
> improvement over the current situation).
>
> As demonstrated, it would also be helpful to document that clockless
> animation and real-time rendering are two entirely(?) different things.

What should I use, if any of these, for Blender real time mode?

(have a try at Cycles viewport rendered mode to get an idea of required usage)