POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : What developers for animation of the using bone do? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  What developers for animation of the using bone do? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: LanuHum
Subject: What developers for animation of the using bone do?
Date: 21 Nov 2015 09:50:01
Message: <web.565084806f515a457a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
It everything, what Povray can?
How to animate the character?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Nov 2015 14:03:45
Message: <5650c011$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/21/2015 2:49 PM, LanuHum wrote:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
> It everything, what Povray can?
> How to animate the character?

I am not sure what you are saying. :-(
When you say "Bone" in the subject, do you mean something that uses
inverse kinematics, to create to determine the joint parameters of an
object? PovRay does not support this, itself.

 > http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm

That is a very good site with some solutions and code for some common
(and not so common) animation situations.
Remember PovRay only "renders" with some SDL code to control it.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> When you say "Bone" in the subject, do you mean something that uses
> inverse kinematics, to create to determine the joint parameters of an
> object? PovRay does not support this, itself.
>
>  > http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
>
> That is a very good site with some solutions and code for some common
> (and not so common) animation situations.
> Remember PovRay only "renders" with some SDL code to control it.
>

> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

You correctly understood me. But, I want to learn: when performing a script of
SDL creating animation of Povray each frame starts considering from scratch,
releasing memory? Or it leaves data which don't change in time in memory?
I thought that Povray doesn't unload geometry from memory every time, step by
step (a shot off-screen, frame by frame)

Post a reply to this message

>> When you say "Bone" in the subject, do you mean something that uses
>> inverse kinematics, to create to determine the joint parameters of an
>> object? PovRay does not support this, itself.
>>
>>   > http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
>>
>> That is a very good site with some solutions and code for some common
>> (and not so common) animation situations.
>> Remember PovRay only "renders" with some SDL code to control it.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> You correctly understood me. But, I want to learn: when performing a script of
> SDL creating animation of Povray each frame starts considering from scratch,
> releasing memory? Or it leaves data which don't change in time in memory?
> I thought that Povray doesn't unload geometry from memory every time, step by
> step (a shot off-screen, frame by frame)

As far as I understand, that is correct. But I do not know what PovRay
does in an animation when it reads a data file each frame.

Which makes me wonder what PovRay does in an animation that consists of
a .pov file which includes a different file to be rendered each frame.

For instance Bishop3d handles animations by exporting a distinct file
for each frame. It does not make full use of the clock variable.

Ini file:

Input_File_Name = T02f4_Newdf3_03b_.pov
Output_File_Name = T02f4_Newdf3_03b_
Initial_Frame = 0
Final_Frame = 9999
Subset_Start_Frame = 0
Subset_End_Frame = 359

T02f4_Newdf3_03b_.pov file:

#include concat( "T02f4_Newdf3_03b_", str( frame_number, -4, 0 ) ".pov" )

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2015 04:29:06
Message: <56518ae2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.11.2015 um 05:39 schrieb LanuHum:

> You correctly understood me. But, I want to learn: when performing a script of
> SDL creating animation of Povray each frame starts considering from scratch,
> releasing memory? Or it leaves data which don't change in time in memory?
> I thought that Povray doesn't unload geometry from memory every time, step by
> step (a shot off-screen, frame by frame)

POV-Ray indeed renders each frame separately, throwing away all data and
re-parsing the entire scene from scratch.

UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
the next though.

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 22 Nov 2015 05:45:02
Message: <web.56519be95a295d497a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>

> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> the next though.

How it is realized?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2015 06:52:56
Message: <5651ac98$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:

>> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
>> the next though.
>
> How it is realized?

Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
"super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
(and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
the variable using "#undef".

The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
"#persistent".

To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:

    #ifndef(Foo)
    #persistent Foo = ...
    #endif

(There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
carried over between frames.)

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 22 Nov 2015 09:00:02
Message: <web.5651ca485a295d497a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> >> the next though.
> >
> > How it is realized?
>
> Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
> "super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
> (and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
> unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
> architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
> the variable using "#undef".
>
> The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
> "#persistent".
>
> To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:
>
>     #ifndef(Foo)
>     #persistent Foo = ...
>     #endif
>

> (There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
> carried over between frames.)

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Nov 2015 12:50:03
Message: <web.5653515d5a295d4933c457550@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> >> the next though.
> >
> > How it is realized?
>
> Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
> "super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
> (and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
> unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
> architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
> the variable using "#undef".
>
> The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
> "#persistent".
>
> To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:
>
>     #ifndef(Foo)
>     #persistent Foo = ...
>     #endif
>

> (There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
> carried over between frames.)

Thanks for that info; very informative. (I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't
yet done any *animation* in v3.7 or UberPOV. I'm looking forward to doing so!)

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Nov 2015 22:30:00
Message: <web.56552aec5a295d495e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
> It everything, what Povray can?
> How to animate the character?

Do you want to animate a skeleton?
I think that maybe a long time ago, Rune posted some of the results and methods
of his animation work,
and there were also a few other people working with Inverse Kinematics methods
to animate characters.
IIRC, Thomas DeGroot and his friend were working on a movie, and there was some
pretty sophisticated methods for animating the characters.  I think that work
was described over on the TINA-CHeP forum.

You can probably look for 3D scanned images of real skeletal bones online.
(If you run into any problems, I can see what I have saved as part of a
project.)