POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Double Pendulum Animation Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:08:11 EDT (-0400)
  Double Pendulum Animation (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Double Pendulum Animation
Date: 30 Jun 2018 05:58:33
Message: <5b375449$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

First basic implementation of "Double Pendulum" mouvement.
Check out at <http://louisbel.free.fr/animate/>

Your comments are welcome.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Double Pendulum Animation
Date: 30 Jun 2018 06:29:48
Message: <5b375b9c$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/06/2018 10:58, kurtz le pirate wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First basic implementation of "Double Pendulum" mouvement.
> Check out at <http://louisbel.free.fr/animate/>
>
> Your comments are welcome.

Nice! Now using reflective spheres. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jun 2018 08:20:01
Message: <web.5b37746a563987a3458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First basic implementation of "Double Pendulum" mouvement.
> Check out at <http://louisbel.free.fr/animate/>
>
> Your comments are welcome.

This is very nice!
How long did it take you implement the code?
I'm glad to see that you're another person playing with the coding challenge
topics   :)    There's lots of fun and educational projects there.

(I still have to fix the last problem I had with converting the Perlin noise
flow field
Coding Challenge #24: Perlin Noise Flow Field
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjoM9oKOAKY
)

I've always wanted to play with some of these systems and have the colors change
as a function of tension, rotational or translational velocity, etc.

1000 frames is "a lot" (Shut it, Balaska)
How long to render the whole animation?

Post a reply to this message

> 1000 frames is "a lot" (Shut it, Balaska)

LOL

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Le 30/06/2018 à 14:15, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> This is very nice!
> How long did it take you implement the code?
> I'm glad to see that you're another person playing with the coding challenge
> topics   :)    There's lots of fun and educational projects there.
>
> (I still have to fix the last problem I had with converting the Perlin noise
> flow field
> Coding Challenge #24: Perlin Noise Flow Field
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjoM9oKOAKY
> )
>
> I've always wanted to play with some of these systems and have the colors change
> as a function of tension, rotational or translational velocity, etc.
>
> 1000 frames is "a lot" (Shut it, Balaska)
> How long to render the whole animation?

Yes, Coding Challenge is a good source of inspiration...

The code took me about 1 hour. The tricky part was the persistence of
the data between images. Then, 1000 frames, 800x600 with anti-aliasong
take 15mn.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Le 30/06/2018 à 14:15, Bald Eagle a écrit :
>
> > This is very nice!
> > How long did it take you implement the code?
> > I'm glad to see that you're another person playing with the coding challenge
> > topics   :)    There's lots of fun and educational projects there.
> >
> > (I still have to fix the last problem I had with converting the Perlin noise
> > flow field
> > Coding Challenge #24: Perlin Noise Flow Field
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjoM9oKOAKY
> > )
> >
> > I've always wanted to play with some of these systems and have the colors change
> > as a function of tension, rotational or translational velocity, etc.
> >
> > 1000 frames is "a lot" (Shut it, Balaska)
> > How long to render the whole animation?
> >

> Yes, Coding Challenge is a good source of inspiration...
>
> The code took me about 1 hour. The tricky part was the persistence of
> the data between images. Then, 1000 frames, 800x600 with anti-aliasong
> take 15mn.
>

> --
> Kurtz le pirate
> Compagnie de la Banquise

I'm guessing what you were passing between frames were the two angles and
angular velocities in order to do a numerical solution of the ODEs. However, I
think your numerical solution scheme is adding energy. You start off with the
balls both stationary and horizontal. Later in the motion BOTH balls are above
the horizontal. A numerical scheme to conserve energy is surprisingly difficult.
What scheme did you use?

Even more surprisingly, there are complex double pendulum motions that are
periodic, many that are symmetric, but several that are asymmetric. Would you
like some data for one (or more) of those motions?

Jim T.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm guessing what you were passing between frames were the two angles and
> angular velocities in order to do a numerical solution of the ODEs. However, I
> think your numerical solution scheme is adding energy. You start off with the
> balls both stationary and horizontal. Later in the motion BOTH balls are above
> the horizontal.

I noticed this too.  But then later they resolve back towards 0. I
figured the added energy was on purpose for effect.

Welcome to the dark side, where animations are greater than 1 second
long, Mr. le pirate.
:D

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm guessing what you were passing between frames were the two angles and
> angular velocities in order to do a numerical solution of the ODEs.

yes and the last <x,y> position

> However, I think your numerical solution scheme is adding energy. You start off with
the
> balls both stationary and horizontal. Later in the motion BOTH balls are above
> the horizontal. A numerical scheme to conserve energy is surprisingly difficult.
> What scheme did you use?

yes, energy is used but... it's not MY scheme.
In this example, I just adapted the L3 Processing code to POVRay SDL.
And, has i say on my web page, this not a real simaultion.

> Even more surprisingly, there are complex double pendulum motions that are
> periodic, many that are symmetric, but several that are asymmetric. Would you
> like some data for one (or more) of those motions?

If systems of equations defining motion are not too complicated, why not.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message