POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tales from a Renderfarm Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:58:43 EDT (-0400)
  Tales from a Renderfarm (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Tales from a Renderfarm
Date: 12 Feb 2017 02:44:39
Message: <58a01267$1@news.povray.org>
I added some BorderChars to my animation, between the 40-55 second marks.
http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/

tl;dr
I wanted to add some BorderChars to the credits of my animation.
This was a good excercise to actually use povclipse2.  I am pleased with
that; editing in povclipse2 is superior to pvengine.  Pvengine still has
a huge leg up on in-program integration with the render engine.
But it is so nice to say "show me a clickable list of all occurrences of
'StuGuitarExplodeStart' in all files".  My goal is to get back to my
mushroom-cloud-in-the-kitchen explosion. Anyway...

So I upgraded my farm's povray and then whined that my i7 is slower than
my i5s.  I went back to 3.7.1-alpha.8353331, which ran 100K frames for
me in the past, and still my i7 is slower.  Perhaps M$ is punishing me
for failing to free upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. [1] ;)

I was annoyed when 8353331.exe crashed. twice. Of course, Windows
doesn't just terminate the program. No, it puts up a "checking for a
solution" dialog and then sits there.  So there is a 10 hour frame
(instead of 45 minutes) that will forever skew my stats.  I am now
running 3.7.1-alpha.8451792.  I will update to beta.3 when that is released.

I realized that once upon a time I said, "I can't wait to see a 1080p
version of my animation!",  but I was so happy with the 720p-30fps
version that I never did that.  So I started that 1080p job up. I'm
irked because my farm was idle for a year and could have been doing that
job.  I estimate 5-6 months to render it.

Immediately, I notice that my i7 is running twice as fast as my i5 on
the old, non BorderChars work.

So huh, it is BorderChars that is slow on my i7. I never could have
guessed something scene-specific could do that.

I got my first test results from 1080p-30fps.  I tried 60fps and 40fps
but the x.264 encoder laughed at me.  Hmm, there is very very slight
video tearing at the motion borders. This is especially noticeable
during slow movement.  Err, I wonder if I should kill it and start again
at 23.976fps.  That's the bluray standard, anyway.

Bleh, yes. I will kill it and start over. It's only a week's worth of
renders.  I will take this time to upgrade the farm's povray again.

I visualized povray's git history and chose origin/master (SHA
71c1415e). This is the best tag that has the utf8 fix, and I believe it
makes more sense for me to run this version over a year old version. I
know it's not a proper tag...  Internally, I called this beta.2a .

So the farm is updated, the frames are deleted, I am cranking through
the credits at 3358 frames per hour. (Once I open that door, it will
slow down to 30-60 minutes a frame @ 1920x1080)

--
dik

[1] At the time, OpenVPN didn't run on win10 and that is a critical
program for me.

Post a reply to this message

Am 12.02.2017 um 08:44 schrieb dick balaska:

> Bleh, yes. I will kill it and start over. It's only a week's worth of
> renders.  I will take this time to upgrade the farm's povray again.
>
> I visualized povray's git history and chose origin/master (SHA
> 71c1415e). This is the best tag that has the utf8 fix, and I believe it
> makes more sense for me to run this version over a year old version. I
> know it's not a proper tag...  Internally, I called this beta.2a .

Prepare to want to upgrade your farm /again/ in about a week or so ;)

Post a reply to this message