POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Extracting information from an existing color_map Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Extracting information from an existing color_map (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Extracting information from an existing color_map
Date: 15 Feb 2023 14:55:00
Message: <web.63ed381961f8e3fb1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
With regard to the recent discussions about color_maps,  I was wondering if it
were possible to somehow extract the number, or even the values of the entries
in a color_map.

I know that we cannot do this directly, but I was wondering if there were
perhaps a method by which a function could be applied which would reveal the
locations of the "nodes".  Some discontinuity or eigenvector, or other clever
exploit.

Perhaps there's a way to look at some sort of plot of the rgb values and see
where the blending transitions from interpolating A into B  over to where it
switches into interpolating B into C....

I'm also wondering if there is a color_map that exceeds the valid 0-1 span, if
it were possible to access those invalid entries using the same sort of hacking
strategy.

Post a reply to this message