POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : XPM or PPM with Alpha input support Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:05:45 EDT (-0400)
  XPM or PPM with Alpha input support (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mr
Subject: XPM or PPM with Alpha input support
Date: 31 Dec 2019 19:40:01
Message: <web.5e0bea2d8f695c92ae8074410@news.povray.org>
Hi, I'm searching for an input image format that would be Ascii based, not
binary, but still support alpha transparency.

I saw PPM as a perfect example if it could bear transparency info, so this is
basically a feature request for POV to support XPM in same places (input images
as images_map or normal) or maybe the info of a workaround, like any format
already supported that would have a, maybe less known, ascii version?

Post a reply to this message

"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> Hi, I'm searching for an input image format that would be Ascii based, not
> binary, but still support alpha transparency.
>
> I saw PPM as a perfect example if it could bear transparency info, so this is
> basically a feature request for POV to support XPM in same places (input images
> as images_map or normal) or maybe the info of a workaround, like any format
> already supported that would have a, maybe less known, ascii version?

(This issue is the blocking point to the creation of a free assets libary)

Post a reply to this message

> "Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm searching for an input image format that would be Ascii based, not
>> binary, but still support alpha transparency.
>>
>> I saw PPM as a perfect example if it could bear transparency info, so this is
>> basically a feature request for POV to support XPM in same places (input images
>> as images_map or normal) or maybe the info of a workaround, like any format
>> already supported that would have a, maybe less known, ascii version?
>
> (This issue is the blocking point to the creation of a free assets libary)

A collection of tools is better than a tool that try to make everything.

Just uses XPM as you want, then use imagemagick's convert to transform
in png, and voilà.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 5 Jan 2020 09:50:01
Message: <web.5e11f71a5d4ebeb1b12f626e0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 05/01/2020 à 13:01, Mr a écrit :
> > "Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm searching for an input image format that would be Ascii based, not
> >> binary, but still support alpha transparency.
> >>
> >> I saw PPM as a perfect example if it could bear transparency info, so this is
> >> basically a feature request for POV to support XPM in same places (input images
> >> as images_map or normal) or maybe the info of a workaround, like any format
> >> already supported that would have a, maybe less known, ascii version?
> >
> > (This issue is the blocking point to the creation of a free assets libary)
> >

> A collection of tools is better than a tool that try to make everything.
>
> Just uses XPM as you want, then use imagemagick's convert to transform
> in png, and voilà.

Hi, though not directly a solution for me, as I cant ship image magick in the
bundle which has to be only text, if python core modules can do the conversion
it would work ! thanks!