POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : user-defined functions-- basic question of use Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:55:08 EDT (-0400)
  user-defined functions-- basic question of use (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Kenneth
Subject: user-defined functions-- basic question of use
Date: 25 Feb 2018 14:20:00
Message: <web.5a930bd733a18267a47873e10@news.povray.org>
I'm familiar with using PIGMENT/PATTERN functions, although it has been awhile.
But I was looking at 3.3.1.8.4 "Declaring User-Defined Vector Functions" in the
docs, and it's not clear to me how to actually *use* the examples given there.

The first example (a transform function) is described only like this:

#declare foo = function {
  transform {
    rotate <90, 0, 0>
    scale 4
    }
  }

#declare myvector = foo(4, 3, 7);

How is "myvector" supposed to be used? My assumption is that it 'acts like' a
transform-- just like any transform{..}-- but I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm
using it in a totally wrong way? I tried all sorts of permutations in a sphere
object, but NONE of them work-- all fatal errors. (Some of these are probably
nonsense, but I wanted to be thorough.) Can someone give an example of the
correct way to use  myvector-- in a sphere, or in some other way altogether? I'm
obviously not grasping the underlying idea.

sphere{0,.3

       // myvector
       // or...
       //my_vector(4,3,7)
       // or...
       //transform{myvector}
       // or...
       //transform{myvector(4,3,7)}
       // or...
       //transform{myvector(x,y,z)}
       // or...
       //function{myvector}
       // or...
       //function(x,y,z){myvector}
       // or...
       //foo
       // or...
       //foo(4,3,7)
       // or...
       //function{foo}
       // or...
       //function(x,y,z){foo}
       // or..
       //transform{foo}
       // or...
       //transform{foo(4,3,7)}
       // or...
       //transform{ <myvector.x,my-vector.y,myvector.z>}
       // or... ??
               pigment{ rgb <0,1,0>}
       }

Post a reply to this message

 > The first example (a transform function) is described only like this:
 >
 > #declare foo = function {
 >    transform {
 >      rotate <90, 0, 0>
 >      scale 4
 >      }
 >    }
 >
 > #declare myvector = foo(4, 3, 7);
 >
 > How is "myvector" supposed to be used? My assumption is that it 'acts
like' a
 > transform-- just like any transform{..}-- but I can't get it to work.

No, "myvector" (as its name suggest) is just a vector. Its the result of
the vector <4, 3, 7> with the transformation "foo" applied.
In this case it is simple to calculate: <16, -28, 12>

So

sphere {myvector, 0.3
      pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
}

or

sphere {foo(4, 3, 7), 0.3
      pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
}

works and will position the sphere at <16, -28, 12>.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm familiar with using PIGMENT/PATTERN functions, although it has been awhile.
> But I was looking at 3.3.1.8.4 "Declaring User-Defined Vector Functions" in the
> docs, and it's not clear to me how to actually *use* the examples given there.
>
> The first example (a transform function) is described only like this:
>
> #declare foo = function {
>    transform {
>      rotate <90, 0, 0>
>      scale 4
>      }
>    }
>
> #declare myvector = foo(4, 3, 7);
>
> How is "myvector" supposed to be used? My assumption is that it 'acts like' a
> transform-- just like any transform{..}-- but I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm
> using it in a totally wrong way? I tried all sorts of permutations in a sphere
> object, but NONE of them work-- all fatal errors. (Some of these are probably
> nonsense, but I wanted to be thorough.) Can someone give an example of the
> correct way to use  myvector-- in a sphere, or in some other way altogether? I'm
> obviously not grasping the underlying idea.

The foo function don't take any paremeter at all.
All function need the parantesis.

So, myvector will always be :
transform{rotate <90,0,0> scale 4}
It shold be named "MyTransform" to have a descriptive name.

The only way that I can think of using that function that should work is :

transform{foo()}

If you apply that to a sphere situated at the origin, the only visible
effect will be to scale it by 4.

Try :
sphere{<0,1,0> 1 transform{foo()}}

Post a reply to this message

> No, "myvector" (as its name suggest) is just a vector. Its the result of
> the vector <4, 3, 7> with the transformation "foo" applied.
> In this case it is simple to calculate: <16, -28, 12>
>
> So
>
> sphere {myvector, 0.3
>       pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
> }
>
> or
>
> sphere {foo(4, 3, 7), 0.3
>       pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
> }
>
> works and will position the sphere at <16, -28, 12>.

Thanks very much; really appreciated. Yes, that was generally *the way* I
thought it would work-- but the example suggests that it's 'a transform', and I
thought that it needed to be used *after* the object is initially made...like a
typical translate, rotate, transform{..} block etc. And not as just *a* vector
itself.

In your opinion (and Bald Eagle's), is the documentation as-is clear enough to
suggest this proper use? I feel like there is some 'explanatory key to
understanding' that is missing there. Perhaps it's the function idea that messes
me up-- not clearly grasping that it produces just a vector (a set of three
values, to be used as such.)

Post a reply to this message