POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Locus of a moving point? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:49:14 EDT (-0400)
  Locus of a moving point? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Locus of a moving point?
Date: 12 Sep 2018 17:58:41
Message: <5b998c11$1@news.povray.org>
I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
> However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
> of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
> visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.

As a purely visable trail that builds up as a planet moves? Or as a numerical
distance? The former is something I've done before, although I no longer have
the code. (I used closly-packed spheres to trace the trajectory, adding more
spheres during an animation). But I don't remember if I did it all within the
scene code, or if had to resort to #write/#read to another file, to recall all
the previous positions.

Post a reply to this message

> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
> > However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
> > of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
> > visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.
> >

> As a purely visable trail that builds up as a planet moves? Or as a numerical
> distance? The former is something I've done before...

Actually, it might be a simple procedure (but it's only my thought experiment,
beware!) The planet needs some starting position; then use a #while or #for loop
to advance that position incrementally, adding a small sphere there each time.
At the end of the loop, add your planet object. There should be a visible trail
of spheres as the trajectory. I think!

Post a reply to this message