POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 (Message 17 to 26 of 41)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11
Date: 28 May 2023 18:30:00
Message: <web.6473d56ccfce83791f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > It seems that the /special/ DLL provided by Moray to communicate with
> > POV-Ray, only works with version 3.5. When you have installed POV-Ray
> > v3.5 you can see at the top "GUI-Extensions" and within "Moray
> > Communications DLL" which is probably installed there I guess, the first
> > time you link both apps. Somehow, Moray is unable to link that DLL with
> > a more recent version of POV-Ray.
> >
>  Aha! That's very interesting, and probably the most important clue to the
> problem I'm having. Thanks for the info!
>
> From my own tests with the changed library path, I was genuinely surprised that
> Moray could even fire up POV-ray v3.7/3.8 automatically. So it does seem that
> Moray is *trying* to make the 'tandem' connection with it...but something goes
> wrong during the process.
>
> Meanwhile, I hope I can find POV-ray v3.5 available somewhere...

I'm guessing that since it was a sort of home-brew app, then maybe there's a lot
of stuff like filenames hard-coded into the Moray source.

Is there a way to run a decompiler or some other analysis software to see what
filename Moray is trying to find/execute?

I'm guessing that Moray somehow needs the editor to make the SDL file, and
that's why POV-Ray needs to be installed.

Perhaps fill a directory with all known POV-Ray editor and engine filename
permutations and see which one got accessed?

Maybe a later version can be renamed and placed into a 3.5 directory to see what
happens?

Just shooting in the dark here.

Post a reply to this message