POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  RFC: Wishlist/features (Message 49 to 58 of 58)
From: Marc
Subject: Re: RFC: Wishlist/features
Date: 24 Aug 2006 12:51:27
Message: <44edd90f$2@news.povray.org>

web.44eda3e0d1e4187af1cb1e660@news.povray.org...
> >Even better would be to convert Moray to Pov's coordinate system.
>
> I agree with Thomas

So do I

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 24 Aug 2006 18:25:35
Message: <44ee275f$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> It keeps the mind young and flexible switching between co-ordinate systems.
> Actually I find that Moray’s Z is up system is more intuitive, for me. But
> then I’ve been told that, I have some wires crossed in my head :-)

It's the difference between whether you're introduced to 3D via CAD or
via 'math'.  Architectural design uses XY as the floorplan plane, so Z
becomes up, while math uses cartesian coordinates XY as relative to
view-plane.  Clearly, the architectural method is superior, (wink) as it
isn't dependent on individual point of view.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> schreef in bericht

> It's the difference between whether you're introduced to 3D via CAD or via
> 'math'.  Architectural design uses XY as the floorplan plane, so Z becomes
> up, while math uses cartesian coordinates XY as relative to view-plane.
> Clearly, the architectural method is superior, (wink) as it isn't
> dependent on individual point of view.

Indeed. And then you have also those systems with Y up, but left- (POV-Ray)
or right-handed (Wings3D, Silo). Does not matter much, but sometimes you
have to remember that.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Date: 25 Aug 2006 03:47:29
Message: <44eeab11$1@news.povray.org>

44eea630@news.povray.org...

> Indeed. And then you have also those systems with Y up, but left-
(POV-Ray)
> or right-handed (Wings3D, Silo). Does not matter much, but sometimes you
> have to remember that.

Everybody knows that it is a plot hatched by the FSA*

Marc
(*)Forehead Slapping Association

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 25 Aug 2006 04:15:00
Message: <web.44eeb0c6d1e4187af1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:

> It's the difference between whether you're introduced to 3D via CAD or
> via 'math'.  Architectural design uses XY as the floorplan plane, so Z
> becomes up, while math uses cartesian coordinates XY as relative to
> view-plane.  Clearly, the architectural method is superior, (wink) as it
> isn't dependent on individual point of view.

Indeed, or in the case of these old eyes; introduced by
Technical/Engineering drawing. Using paper and pencil (2H), T-square and
setsquare.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Aug 2006 10:02:13
Message: <44ef02e5$1@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht

> Everybody knows that it is a plot hatched by the FSA*
>

> Marc
> (*)Forehead Slapping Association

You know how to recognize them? They are bald (from slapping their head)
:-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Date: 26 Aug 2006 05:32:43
Message: <44f0153b$1@news.povray.org>

44edd90f$2@news.povray.org...

One option which comes back to my mind is an "Export only" option as a
checkbox in Flags/Bounding box block.
It'd allow to simply declare an object, export the declaration and use only
copies of the object either in a group, GSG or a piece of code.
I know there is a workaround : create the object, duplicate as referenced
and uncheck "Export" Box (even export box of the reference copy if you want
to  use it in a piece of code) but this creates useless objects as in the
browser as in the select tab.

I'd like a 3D spline editor as well which could export POV splines useable
in macros or pieces of code.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 26 Aug 2006 06:28:24
Message: <44f02248$1@news.povray.org>
> I'd like a 3D spline editor as well which could export POV splines useable
> in macros or pieces of code.
This is a feature I could use. Hand editing splines is not fun.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Aug 2006 07:18:12
Message: <44f02df4$1@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <stephen@nospam> schreef in bericht
> This is a feature I could use. Hand editing splines is not fun.

 I agree!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Aug 2006 04:11:45
Message: <c795f2tpffsc1gtmempl23i4s7orhbou8q@4ax.com>
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:18:12 +0200, "Thomas de Groot"
<t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:

>"StephenS" <stephen@nospam> schreef in bericht
>> This is a feature I could use. Hand editing splines is not fun.
>>
> I agree!
>
>Thomas

So do I

Regards