POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : YAFR Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:00:07 EDT (-0400)
  YAFR (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: YAFR
Date: 16 Jan 2006 14:15:29
Message: <43cbf0d1$1@news.povray.org>
It would be nice to have the backdrop image be able to keep aspect ratio
when set to 'fixed in view' instead of only stretching to fit the entire
view...

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: YAFR
Date: 23 Jan 2006 23:39:54
Message: <cobbt1138ecjie2ctl4jfh4t7f5i9usjn3@4ax.com>
Hi Tim Cook, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> It would be nice to have the backdrop image be able to keep aspect ratio
> when set to 'fixed in view' instead of only stretching to fit the entire
> view...
Well, but how would that work? Make it fill the smaller of the
dimensions? That means that if you change the size of the window by
maximizing or resizing, it will change the way the image fills the
view.....

Out of interest, in what particular case would this be useful?

I guess the workaround is to edit the image, adding borders at the top
and bottom (or left and right) edges to have the same aspect ratio as
the viewport.....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 24 Jan 2006 04:38:29
Message: <43d5f595$1@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
> Well, but how would that work? Make it fill the smaller of the
> dimensions?

Sounds good.

> That means that if you change the size of the window by
> maximizing or resizing, it will change the way the image fills the
> view.....
 > Out of interest, in what particular case would this be useful?

Aye, but I don't change the size of the window all that often, whereas
having the backdrop fixed in the view would allow me to not have to
fiddle with borders on an image in an external program to get it aligned
with the object I'm working on using the backdrop as a reference...
Which is what I would think fixed in view would be used for, yes?  The
background staying put, so you can pan or zoom around to get a better
match?  So it changing its aspect ratio in that case is...aggravating.