POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Animation Status question/observation?! : Re: Animation Status question/observation?! Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:40:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation Status question/observation?!
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 16 Oct 2005 04:05:09
Message: <kurtzlepirate-B16E36.10050916102005@news.povray.org>
In article <web.43512240124ce720962660460@news.povray.org>,
 "jlindersmith" <jli### [at] maccom> wrote:

::I have an observation and a question, I create animation sequences
::frequently with my copy of this great little software package and have
::since 1993 found POV to be a really handy tool for visualization and
::creative work. My observation is this, when rendering animations,
::especially large complex scenes that require minutes or even hours of
::render time the status messages, which I assume are piped into the Message
::subwindow  from a command line level subroutine, we are virtually inundated
::with useful info such as;
::
::Render Statistics
::Image Resolution 320 x 240
::----------------------------------------------------------------------------
::Pixels:          2304000   Samples:         2304000   Smpls/Pxl: 1.00
::Rays:            2395228   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 2/5
::----------------------------------------------------------------------------
::Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
::etc, etc, ad nauseum... bla, bla, bla...
::.....This is all useful information for evaluating system performance and
::scene complexity but a carefull review reveals no indication of the current
::clock value or frame number...
::
::my question is this! why not include in the message stream the animation
::frame number or even clock value as a way of monitoring the progress of
::generating scene images? There is probably an easy preference check box or
::ini setting to have this really basic debug information forwarded to the
::user, as I have usually found that the programmers left almost nothing out
::of this simple yet very powerful software. This seems
::like a simple thing that has been overlooked but if there is anyone out
::there who knows a way to have this basic info presented durring the
::rendering process please let me know.

have trying to put this in your code :

  #debug concat("\nclock is : ",str(clock,5,3))
  #debug concat(" and frame number is : ",str(frame_number,0,0),"\n")
  ... others values...