POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : The Rules Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  The Rules (Message 1 to 10 of 58)
From: Michael Hunter
Subject: The Rules
Date: 10 Jun 2009 13:40:00
Message: <web.4a2fef719ae2988bd7fbc1230@news.povray.org>
It is wonderful that the IRTC has been around since the days when spheres and
cubes on checkered planes was considered advanced 3D! But the old rules that
were meant to keep the discussion focused on tools and techniques used in 3D
have inadvertently restricted that very conversation. I would like to urge you
to allow a review of these rules to ensure that the overall mission is an
investigation of 3D without restrictions on the technologies and methodologies
used because these aspects of 3D are continually evolving.

No one could have predicted a decade ago that 3D images and animations would be

they created water. It was a multi-pass operation where refractions,
reflections, specular highlights and so on were rendered independently and then
merged into the final animation. This allows a more efficient workflow and more
flexibility but it requires more planning and is often times more complex.

I think there is a lot to discuss and consider related to modern methodologies.

our group if we restrict images to only what can be rendered simultaneously.
More than anyone else POV-Ray-ers could benefit by a more open methodology
allowing them to make essentially real-time adjustments to their scenes much of

minded as possible to any animation or image that is 3D regardless of how it
was assembled so the conversation can be about that methodology and new
techniques that have yet to be invented.

Post a reply to this message