POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : TC-RTC PovRay 0, Other 3 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 04:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  TC-RTC PovRay 0, Other 3 (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: TawnyOwl
Subject: Re: TC-RTC PovRay 0, Other 3
Date: 22 Jul 2011 15:45:01
Message: <web.4e29d2aa87f978c683f94e6b0@news.povray.org>
Hi to the crowd,

maybe I expressed myself a little bit badly or I misunderstand Stephen a bit,
but in the end I agree to all the points stated here in the last days. If the
financial crisis plays a significant role, I cannot judge. I really think, that
in the high times of the irtc with more than 200 entries per round a lot of them
was motivated by gaining points for jobs in the industry. But may be I'm wrong.
The financial crisis may be an other reason. May be both reasons played a part.
In the revitalized irtc in 2009 and 2010 there were only few contributors too,
some 10 I remember. At the last abandoned competition of the irtc it was only 6
I'm sure. To promote the TC-RTC here is a very good idea certainly. I'm not sure
whether the TC-RTC-website needs much improvements or not. The one or other
explanation about the topics or so would help certainly but I will not mangle
myself with questions of style.

I really think that you should not surrender with the TC-RTC and looking at my
WIP at this very moment I think you gain a new contributor this round, maybe
with a very headstrong interpretation of the topic.

Regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

I've forgot to say: I render with PovRay only. (But use other programs, like
Wings in the upcoming picture and Poser or DAZ in the future as auxiliaries).

Regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

> maybe I expressed myself a little bit badly or I misunderstand Stephen a bit,
> but in the end I agree to all the points stated here in the last days. If the
> financial crisis plays a significant role, I cannot judge. I really think, that
> in the high times of the irtc with more than 200 entries per round a lot of them
> was motivated by gaining points for jobs in the industry. But may be I'm wrong.
> The financial crisis may be an other reason. May be both reasons played a part.
> In the revitalized irtc in 2009 and 2010 there were only few contributors too,
> some 10 I remember. At the last abandoned competition of the irtc it was only 6
> I'm sure. To promote the TC-RTC here is a very good idea certainly. I'm not sure
> whether the TC-RTC-website needs much improvements or not. The one or other
> explanation about the topics or so would help certainly but I will not mangle
> myself with questions of style.

Yes, there seems to be a trend there. We shall never know the real
reasons for that evolution I am afraid. Best we can do is to try to keep
the TC-RTC as visible - and interesting - as possible.

> I really think that you should not surrender with the TC-RTC and looking at my
> WIP at this very moment I think you gain a new contributor this round, maybe
> with a very headstrong interpretation of the topic.

Michael, that is good news. Thank you for joining our little community.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I've forgot to say: I render with PovRay only. (But use other programs, like
> Wings in the upcoming picture and Poser or DAZ in the future as auxiliaries).

That is very good. Doing that myself too, with Silo instead of Wings ;-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: TawnyOwl
Date: 15 Aug 2011 16:05:01
Message: <web.4e497b4f87f978c6d2fd2b390@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:
> On 22-7-2011 21:54, TawnyOwl wrote:
> > I've forgot to say: I render with PovRay only. (But use other programs, like
> > Wings in the upcoming picture and Poser or DAZ in the future as auxiliaries).
> >
> That is very good. Doing that myself too, with Silo instead of Wings ;-)
>
> Thomas

Hello Thomas,

thank you for your trust in me. Now, the "final" (can a "final" rendering ever
exist?) rendering is running, and I have to rely on my new Core i7 with 16 GB
RAM (4 wasn't enough) to do it just in time. I have just registered as a new
chepper, but under my real name and not with the nick of a model I tried in the
past. May be I finish my owl some time, but certainly not in the near future. I
really like this birds...

I have a lot of ideas to improve my upcoming picture (the water should be a
little bit more dirty, we need some leafs between the stones and so on) but the
advantage of a deadline is: you have to accept the things you have achieved and
be content with it. And I am. I hope you like snails...

Regards,
Michael.

Post a reply to this message

From: TawnyOwl
Date: 17 Aug 2011 15:55:01
Message: <web.4e4c1c7187f978c68e447e0a0@news.povray.org>
Hm, hm,

now that I have posted my marathon-picture to the tc-rtc, I see, that the
"renderer used" line is only filled with #, and not with the correct entry
"POV-Ray 3.7" (I changed it for testing from "POV-Ray 3.7 RC3" to "POV-Ray-3.7",
but it is hidden anyway. That the email-line is filled with #, I'm content with.

Regards,
Michael.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2011 16:20:00
Message: <web.4e4c215787f978c6edb42c8d0@news.povray.org>
"TawnyOwl" <taw### [at] webde> wrote:
> Hm, hm,
>
> now that I have posted my marathon-picture to the tc-rtc, I see, that the
> "renderer used" line is only filled with #, and not with the correct entry
> "POV-Ray 3.7" (I changed it for testing from "POV-Ray 3.7 RC3" to "POV-Ray-3.7",
> but it is hidden anyway. That the email-line is filled with #, I'm content with.
>
> Regards,
> Michael.

the voting ends.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: TawnyOwl
Date: 19 Aug 2011 14:55:00
Message: <web.4e4eb05e87f978c6a1deb0e90@news.povray.org>

> the voting ends.
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

this is a very interesting information to a stastician like me. Blinding is a
good idea to avoid bias, but then you must blind all the information available.
The author (we all know that Normand uses his own renderer), the country and so
on. And even this will not suffice, since we are a very small community at the
moment and we will recognize each other only by looking at the pictures...

Regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Aug 2011 06:49:56
Message: <4e4f9154$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2011 7:50 PM, TawnyOwl wrote:
> this is a very interesting information to a stastician like me. Blinding is a
> good idea to avoid bias, but then you must blind all the information available.
> The author (we all know that Normand uses his own renderer), the country and so
> on. And even this will not suffice, since we are a very small community at the
> moment and we will recognize each other only by looking at the pictures...

True, true and true, Michael. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Aug 2011 07:38:40
Message: <4e4f9cc0$1@news.povray.org>
On 19-8-2011 20:50, TawnyOwl wrote:
> this is a very interesting information to a stastician like me. Blinding is a
> good idea to avoid bias, but then you must blind all the information available.
> The author (we all know that Normand uses his own renderer), the country and so
> on. And even this will not suffice, since we are a very small community at the
> moment and we will recognize each other only by looking at the pictures...

I generally close my eyes while voting.....

[tries to avoid clots of earth, eggs, tomatoes, etc]

Thomas